Model Train Forum banner

Need some advice please

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Massey 
#1 ·
Ok, so I bought a Life-Like starter kit as a first set for my 4yo and I to build together. currently it lives in a briefcase as I only see him once a fortnight, and I have to travel 300km every second fortnight to do so. As a result, setting it up in a permanent setup is fairly well out. as you can imagine, this leads to the potential that the train set will get damaged in transit, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make them more travel friendly? I also bought a second locomotive and some extra carriages so that he can switch back and forth, with a section of line set up as a siding so that we can run one train at a time without having to take the trains off (he thinks it's great!).

Also, I was thinking about re painting the train in aussie train colours etc, and was hoping I could get some advice on what paints work best with these, and what works best to prepare the surface for painting.

Lastly, the Loco that came with the Life-Like kit is a little slow and fairly squeaky, so I was wondering if anyone can do up a step by step on how to disassemble and lubricate this engine without damaging it. (the other loco I bought is a Model Power chinese made Steam engine replica, and it works a whole heap better, and came with lubricating instructions).

Thanks!
Allan

See less See more
#3 ·
I have that same Life Like loco. Received it as a gift about 25 years ago. And yes, they have not changed that one much. It uses a pancake style motor that only powers one of the trucks. On top of that there is not much that can be done to improve it. Since there are no flywheels the control of speed is not as smooth as it could be. I would recommend not running the loco on carpet. It will pick up the carpet fibers into the wheels and gears thus destroying them over time.

#5 ·
From what I can see, the engine comes apart really easy. IF you notice the black rectangles near the lower part of the shell right above the truck, well that tab may hold the shell on the frame or hold the truck to the shell. See about prying the body away from what ever is on the other side of that tab. Pan motors are really picky and like to stay clean and well lubed.

Massey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.