Model Train Forum banner

What's been on your N workbench lately???

51K views 499 replies 53 participants last post by  Fifer 
#1 ·
I didn't see this thread here and thought it might be nice to look for all of the recent projects.

I'll start it off with a project I finally worked on this weekend.
A Con Cor Bi-Level Autorack.

I put a Curtis upgrade kit on it(Floor board)
MT Trucks and Couplers
Fox Valley Wheel Set
Plano Side door panels( a real lesson here)
The instructions ask you to drill holes for the panel pins which I decided not to do.
One side came out just as I would have wanted the otherside which I decided to cut out the entire panel didn't exactly come out as desired.
See for your self.
Next attempt I will remove just about the entire panel but leave a lip for the pins to go into after drilling.
But lesson learned.

Attachments

See less See more
#473 ·
Population - 98

I guess that Wow means Thanks Carl! Moving right along - Gotta leave town soon - So here's some more - Cheers - Steve (This thing is almost done except for some more Telephone Poles etc. etc. :D)

Attachments

#478 ·
I guess that Wow means Thanks Carl! Moving right along - Gotta leave town soon - So here's some more - Cheers - Steve (This thing is almost done except for some more Telephone Poles etc. etc. :D)

Hi Steve441, You do a lot of nice detail work on those kits!!:) Once you get your diorama installed in a layout, it should be interesting!!:) You seem to have an excessive fixation on hookers though!!!:laugh:

Cheers, Dave

#476 ·
Wingnut163 - I use Evergreen Plastic for the sidewalks - Your local hobby shop should have some if the selection is good. It comes in a sheet with 1/2 inch squares lined in. Pretty good looking sidewalk but that evergreen stuff is pricey for what you get. For the bricks - I get the mortar to show up by applying a white "wash" over them. The wash flows to the low spots (mortar lines) and dries. I am not very good at ageing buildings so I bet a lot of people know more than me - but I think that's one way to do it.

Yeah Carl - I sure do like the trains too - soon I will start another layout. As I said before, a diorama alows you to get to a lot of detail work that might be really hard to do if it had to be placed on the layout from the start. I shall mount this finished chunk right in the middle of my next layout with ease. Then I can get the edges detailed. I will post a few more pix of this bit - finished soon. Cheers - Steve

#477 ·
i also use evergreen plus other types like gravoply. its used in engraving signs.
i use to do engraving and have a lot of it (small pieces) i just ordered three sheets of it to use for the subway sys i am putting together. $230. for 3 sheets, 24x48" i dont know how many stations I'll have . probable need more.
in one of the threads i was asked to show a low boy trailer i built. the neck was all plastic.
I'm still thinking on what to use on the side walks. but thanks for the info on the wash on the bricks. I'll have to try that.

#480 ·
Thanks David - I get a funny charge from the weird little scenes I create. I admit to sitting right up close and makeing up little accompanying stories for the groups and individual people. I am just sort of weird only. I got some of that stuff from Germany - Noch is the company - "Toilet Scenes" was the name and theme I believe - Those Germans! The Hookers too are theirs too but some is Woodland Scenic stuff - Like WS "Teenage Girls". They (the suppliers) do all the work - all I do is drop the $ on 'em and give 'em a place to hang-out. Cheers - Steve

#486 ·
New Activity

Thanks Shaygetz - Your "Thumbs Up" means a lot to me after seeing your stuff and realizing the experience you have in the hobby. I have obtained the N scale figures most all from EBay and Model Train Stuff.com (The Best shipping prices to Canada). I have painted a few myself with little success. Noch makes great people but so do Woodland Scenics and I like their little "Scenes". These pics are what I just added to my diorama - Woodland Scenics - "Shove It Or Leave It". I particularly like the car these guys are pushing. I did not glue it down however as it may find another spot on the final layout closer to the Auto Repair Shop I have. That repair shop was in the downtown of my last layout but it was way too cramped looking. Cheers - Steve

Attachments

#487 ·
Classic Pics for "What's on my Workbench"

I guess I am calling this finished for now. Here are 4 shots from different sides of this 2 foot square N scale Diorama. I would like to get the "Fire Escape" kit(s) - I would need 2 - for the back of the 3 tenement buildings. They look crappy with nothing there now as in pic 4 below - however in the final setup one may not be able to see that bit due to the angle of the layout and I have enough money in this baby for now!! I will start a new Thread for my next layout commencing Soon. So for now - over and out from Steve's Workbench and Thanks for watching and all the kind comments. Cheers - Steve

Attachments

#488 ·
I picked up an Intermountain kit the other day that I plan to weather heavily. It's not near being done but there is some good progress coming along.
New:

Weathered:

I still plan to add rust to it and I have only weathered one side so you're actually seeing pictures of both sides.

The other major project is an American Model Builders house I'm building which can be seen here:
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=18589

#489 ·
My latest project is a GHQ MT-A Farm Tractor kit. Assembling this tiny tidbit is driving me nuts ! I am newly into such micro-modeling, and am still very green at it.....

OMG ! What have I gotten myself into here ? :eek:

Painting & Assembly finally begun after much deep thinking.... :smilie_daumenpos:

#490 ·
Steve your diorama looks great. The people and the vehicles really make a difference.
WS I recently got a Jordan Highway Miniatures kit consisting of two horse and buggys in HO scale. They about drove me up the wall. I can imagine what these would be like in N scale. Pete

#492 ·
Here is the finished locomotive from my bench.

Thanks , Mike

#494 ·
Here is what I am working on at the moment. Getting a few GHQ and Showcase models done. Mainly working on the construction equipment for the lumber yard. The tank trailer is a kitbash I have yet to finish.
Log loader just needs glass and forklift is done. Log Crane is not in the picture.

Thanks , Mike

#495 · (Edited)
Diorama

I am going to re-work my layout - Of course I saved everything from the last one. I was not happy with the downtown area so I rebuilt it nicely on a base that I will drop into the new setup - I will keep you all posted with progress - I suppose I will start a new build thread in "N Scale" - I like this site the Best !!

#496 ·
I am going to re-work my layout - Of course I saved everything from the last one. I was not happy with the downtown area so I rebuilt it nicely on a base that I will drop into the new setup - I will keep you all posted with progress - I suppose I will start a new build thread in "N Scale" - I like this site the Best !!
I feel you Steve I am about to do the same exact thing.
Mike

#499 ·
Thanks Buddy but I lost interest when Photo#ucket raped everyone.
Mike

#500 ·
When you do start can you send me a PM as I do not spend much time on forums any more.
Thanks , Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.