Model Train Forum banner
10K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  time warp 
#1 · (Edited)
With the recent discussion on Tyco I tookl out my Silver Streak. BY Golly IT ran! I tested a bunch a few years back and I thought the diesels has died. Anyway it grumbled down the track. Yeah grumbled because it was tireless.

As luck would have it I cleaned out the van and found my daughter's elastics for her retainer. Hmm, a number 4, very small, will stretch. Bingo:D on goes the elastic and the grumble stopped.

They are very soft so I do not know how long they will last.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have been using something similar on my Chattanooga, Bachmann F3 307 and an AMH E3 PRR. One word of advice, do not allow there to be any twist on the rubber bands. They will break much faster f they are twisted. Tack a small screw driver and just run it under the band. This will normally remove all of the twist.

#4 ·
Interesting. I've just recently started messing with old TYCO stuff. I've read mixed reviews on these things...some people love the dental elastics, some say they break down and get gooey. I've read that some use hair bands, but cut them down thinner. I'm not sure what the best answer is, but I'm going to have to figure it out as my TYCO stuff gets more use.

#6 ·
wow after reading this I'm gonna have to find some of those retainer rings .. I have an old tyco Chattanooga.. the wheels were shot, first I tried 7/16ths o-rings too tall. then I put some tiny hair bands bought from wally world and they work but are too thin and it still slips... good find

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.