Model Train Forum banner

Forum owners: Can you enable Tapatalk here?

6K views 45 replies 8 participants last post by  gunrunnerjohn 
#1 ·
I ran a search for this forum on Tapatalk and it was not found. Can you get with those guys and enable it please?

For anyone unfamiliar, Tapatalk is primarily a smartphone app but works on any small reader device with internet capability. It formats forums such as this for more convenient use on devices with small screens. Instead of bringing it up on the normal web browser, which works but is a pain because of all the zooming and panning required, it makes only the critical things larger and easier to click on. For on the go or laying in bed when you don't have your laptop. Makes it real easy to reply to threads from a phone too.

I have a list of three forums I commonly use at my tapatalk app on my phone. They use the same basic forum template as this website. I would like to add this one. The app also gives you a notification when you receive a PM from another member from any of your forums. I spend more time reading forums on my phone than the computer because it's quicker and I like the better sort features.

It requires the forum owner to do something to activate it.

#34 ·
Now....is there anything else we need on the site?

Good thing I left him the gold star. :D

#37 ·
Don't work on my phone, I tapped it till my finger hurt.
It did nothing. :p

NOW...IF THEY COULD ONLY FIX THE PICTURE PROBLEM.

#40 ·
Hey guys ...

I finally crawled out of the Stone Age, and bought myself a cheapy Android tablet ... $49 Netbook 7 at Walmart. I figure for that price, how bad could it be?

Anyway, I'm wondering what all this talk about Tapatalk is about? Do I need Tapatalk on my Android tablet to access the forum through that?

Based on the conversation in the posts above, did anyone here ever confirm if the forum can, in fact, be access via a mobile device (like an Android tablet) and Tapatalk? If so, does the site look "normal", or are there significant limitations?

In answering, please remember that you're communicating with someone who still uses a track-ball mouse and a hard-wired printer!

Cheers,

TJ

#41 ·
When you visit this forum on your Android phone, you should be automatically be getting a message asking you to download Tapatalk. Go ahead and download the Tapatalk app here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity&hl=en
If you visit the above link with Google Chrome, then it will let you remotely install it on your phone. If you want to do it manually, then go to the "Play Store" app on your phone and search for Tapatalk.

As for the forum working well on a mobile phone WITHOUT an outside program like Tapatalk... not with the current version it won't. This forum is running vBulletin 3.7.x which is rather antiquated. Unfortunately vBulletin 4 is already at a development standstill (and costs $250) and vBulletin 5 is an absolute trainwreck. Most forums that have switched to vB5 have died a horrible death as people quit due to all the bugs and sluggishness and missing features.

The amazing developers who created vB2/3/4 left the company to form their own forum software company -- XenForo. It's streamlined, simple, and works great on mobile phones. Upgrading this site to XenForo is the most logical next step, if the site owners decide to invest some time that is. I hereby volunteer my time as I've got 12 years forum administration experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.