Model Train Forum banner

Bucket List Train Board

45K views 421 replies 41 participants last post by  norgale 
#1 ·
Something I've wanted to do since the 70's when I had an HO scale board for my son is build a nice O scale train layout. I've been into radio control aircraft for about the last 30 years and with the large scale stuff that I was building and flying, the traveling to various contest and events, I just got burned out. ... so, here is my first attempt at model trains in about 40 years.

Started with the table in my garage. Maximum size I could go and still fit my other toys was 6.5 x 12. Here are a few pictures of my beginnings.

Attachments

See less See more
#375 ·
Here's a plane photo for you ;)

It's my dad's stepdad's plane, a 1950's Beechcraft Bonanza "V-Tail". Can't remember exactly what year it is.
Nice airplane. I flew one of those a few times, but when it came to buying, I got a great deal on the Mooney and so I went for that. The Mooney was quite a bit cheaper to fly and almost as fast, so it seemed a better deal.

#373 ·
They do look like the same car.
They are just missing the NYC, replaced with Pullman.
I wonder if they are from the same mold?

Thanks, now that I think of it I might have 2 of those that I won in a lot of stuff years ago.
I will have to look.

#374 ·
Well Ed, I haven't been in the hobby long enough to have so much stuff that I don't know what I have; but, I hope to be there one of these days.:D All the cars that I have (all 8) look like they are identical, so I"m sure they are from the same mold.

I had all 4 trains running today on my layout, smoke bellowing from stacks, lights on the passenger cars bright, locomotives hauling pretty long consists, and when I turned on my layout lighting, my ZW protested the load and the red light came on and shut down everything. It's all back up and running now and I put my layout lighting on my 80w spar transformer; however, I was surprised to see the ZW get overloaded. No shorts or anything of that nature, just shut down after I turned on the inner small control section of the ZW that energizes the lights on the layout. I guess it all was just a little too much at once.

#376 ·
I have all my lights set up on an 80 too. The ZW I use just for the trains.

I thought 2 of those names rang a bell, I do have 2 of them. The 19067 & 19068. :eek:
See, my problem used to be that my O were all in big boxes and when I wanted to use them I would have to look for them inside the boxes.
I recently bought a bunch of shelves to get them out of the boxes.

I found the box of them and put them on one the shelves I bought.
I still have to unpack others. Little by little I am seeing what I got. :D

I thought I had 2 of them, now I got to get the other 2. :eek:hwell:
Thanks for finding them for me.:D
Collection Inventory Book

Inventory

#379 ·
We had a bunch of the twins clothes from when they were young and were going to sell them in a garage sale so we saved the hangers to display them.
A lot of the clothes were in like new shape. Especially the infant stuff.

I finally told her to sell them or I would get rid of them.:rolleyes:

I donated them to a goodwill place, they came and picked them up.

ALL THIRTY LARGE GREEN GARBAGE BAGS WORTH!!
And we still have some, Lord knows why.:rolleyes:

The hangers......I moved a bunch before I took the picture.:p

You never know, they might come in handy for something one day.
Something? :dunno:

#380 ·
You're so right, Ed. You never know what will fit that need you might have somewhere down the road. I'm somewhat of a packrat and some of the things I keep come in handy sometimes. Glad I helped you get your boxes organized looking for those passenger cars. You've got a pretty good collection going.

#392 ·
Came out looking good. :thumbsup:

I said THREE were working, Ed. ;) :D

(But you're right ... I didn't see #4 ... the guy talking to his girlfriend on the cell phone!)
If you look at the one picture it looks like he is "watering" the box. :D

#391 · (Edited)
Just what we need, an OSHA representative on the job. They don't all have hard hats on either. You know, I just realized there is no compressor nearby for that 90 lb jack hammer to be working with. Might have to remedy that.

I picked up the black delivery truck the other day at Walmart for about $4.50. I always browse through the toy section to see if they have anything that I might add to the layout for a reasonable price. The Shell diesel tank is made from the tops of two spray paint cans and a cut off shotgun shell for the top hatch.

Attachments

#394 · (Edited)
Don't tell me I have to put a portalet on the job site as well. Man, this is going to exceed my cost estimate and eat into my profit.:mad: Let's see, I not only have to put a compressor on the job site to operate the paving breaker, now I need a portable can. Could be two additions if I can find an O scale portable can and a compressor. You guys keep it up...I'm sure there is more stuff you can come up with that I need to add. Anybody know where I might be able to get some traffic signals? Contributions will be accepted at my local address which will be given when any contributions are promised.:D

#395 ·
Just a few observations I noticed.

One thing I did notice is 2 of them don't have hard hats and none have safety glasses. :p

And here on the east coast everyone has to wear safety reflective vests now too. :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Maybe a flag man should be on site too, along with a boss, where would we be if it wasn't for bosses. :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Signs are needed saying WATCH OUT FOR THE TRAINS, one posted on each side minimum size should be 2'x2'.

The gang plank you made should have some kind of support under it on the long section where the wheelbarrow man is.
That is an unsafe work condition, it could collapse from the weight, it needs handrails on the sides too.
USW safety division has been informed.
They might show up with pickets, till it is fixed.

Expect OSHA to show up soon.
They have been informed. :D

#396 ·
Great job. I like the idea of using the bx wire. And the waterfall looked good. As I did not read through the whole thread yet, ed did forget one thing. In ny and NJ it is mandatory to have few no show mafia jobs. A few lawn chairs with some people drinking beer would work! Nice looking layout.

#397 ·
I purchased some Cat Tails on E-bay a couple of days ago and they came in today. Got them planted along my drainage ditch. You don't get too many for the money and those little suckers are expensive. I could use another pack of 24. They don't go very far.

Attachments

#400 ·
GRJ, I will probably get more and spread them out a little more along the bank. Down here in Louisiana, where everything is wet and for the most part stays wet, Cat Tails do grow in clumps and in big bunches. I'd love to spread them out a little more, with a little more dense planting; however, those puppies are expensive!!
I found them on E-bay, under O scale scenery. The package says they come from Model Rectifier Corporation though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.