Model Train Forum banner

Electricity in Prototypical Operations

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  highvoltage 
#1 ·
I was recently asked by my niece if the rails of a "Real" RR can conduct electricity like "our" models. I assured her they did because they are usually made of a conductive metal, weather or not this is an "issue" or a problem for them was something I could not answer for her and hoped one of you may have an answer that would satisfy her AND me!
THANX!

#4 ·
Thanks for the link though I don't often use wikki as it can be changed and ya never quite KNOW if you are being taken for a ride there. It makes sense that they would use the conductivity to an advantage, but what about "Static" charges and the Lightning question has got her attention BIG time! I'm thinking the spikes would serve another function by "grounding" any charge but I'm "electron challenged" and am ignorant in that area, I can barely change a light bulb, that's why I have no "power bus" on my layout, just one hook up at the terminal piece by the transformer.

#5 ·
Using the rails for signaling is a real challenge for the signal manufacturers. Beside good conductivity and lightning they have deal with resistance between the rails. A bigger problem in the steam age but still a concern today. as smoke and oil deposits builds up on the ties they start to conduct and short out the signal.
To aid in the rail conduction wire jumpers are used.

Pete

#9 ·
Thanks "Gunrunner" for putting it in it's proper place and all for such good info, I was able to tell her about the "Electric" Trains and how they are pretty much just like "ours" but it was how "natural" electricity(static charges and lightning) is handled by "regular" trains and track systems and if it causes problems for them that she was asking me about. Smart kid!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.