Model Train Forum banner

O scale coaling tower to HO something else tower.

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  shaygetz 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have managed to pick myself up a built bachmann O scale coaling tower today at a train show. This is the one that bachmann also packed up as G scale with no changes. I'm planning to lower the height to something more appropriate for HO.
(pictures here http://www.tandem-associates.com/plasticville/coaling_station.htm)

But, do I want a coaling tower ?
Not really (then why on earth would you buy one I hear you ask.. Who knows?)
, I know little about railways but from the researching I've done I believe this type of coaling tower would only be used to fuel tenders on steam locos? I'm planning to model diesel era so it would be obsolete.

My question is really this...

What could I convert this coaling tower into ?
I've heard of old coaling towers being still used to load sand... Or perhaps I could use gravel ?

This tower is pretty large, I imagine it would hold enough substance to fill at least 5 or 6 40' hoppers...

So surely this lovely plastic structure could be of some use to me, perhaps even a centerpiece of the non existent and unplanned layout. I feel comfortable with my modeling skills enough that I will most likely modify it for actual loading operation, either manually or electronically.

So if anybody has any ideas or information that might help me, it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Joe.

See less See more
#3 ·
Joe,

Not much tech knowledge I can offer here. A sand/gravel tower sounds reasonable to me.

I really just wanted to chime in and welcome our new Kiwi member. A long, long way from the States. I lived in Auckland for a while, and absolutely loved the country. Gorgeous, gorgeous scenery. Nice to have you onboard!

TJ

#4 ·
Thanks very much TJ,
Kind of you to welcome me!

I have also lived in Auckland for 2 years, "out west".
I grew up in the midlands in England though, so not strictly a kiwi...almost 7 years here out of my 21 so far makes me at least part kiwi!
See, i have the best of both worlds... I now live in a lovely part of the world but also forunately have fond memories of watching class 37s hauling coal and intercity 125's carrying local passengers through my small village as a kid!

Most people model what they saw when they grew up, maybe I'll do so one day but I'm finding a good interest of american railroads at present! :cool:

Anyway, I'm rambling.. As per usual.

Thanks for the welcome again TJ. :)

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the site Joe.
If you get some more you can build something like this.:D

You could run one Steam Loco on your rail road, just pretend it is a tourist attraction. Add a water tower near it. :thumbsup:

CNJRR (Central Railroad of New Jersey, USA) once had a massive concrete coaling tower. In 1967 the CNJ abandoned the large Jersey city, NJ terminal, it sat abandoned and vandalized for many years after.
It had what looks like 8 bays to load the coal.

Architecture Building Landscape House Vehicle

The only thing that remains of the once huge yard is the main terminal, which has been renovated and saved.

The yard is where Liberty State Park is located now, where the Statue of Liberty is. The coaling tower used to sit where the Liberty Science Center is located now.
I am glad that they renovated the old terminal and saved a piece of NJ history.:D

Skyline Sky City Human settlement Architecture

Landmark Architecture Building House Steeple

A small part of the once massive yard, this picture was taken in 1952 by a CNJ photographer. The main terminal is in the background.
Transport Vehicle Railway Train station Train

So....if anyone every goes to see Lady Liberty remember what this park used to be at one time and check out the terminal while your there.;)

#8 ·
Hi Ed,

Thanks for your input and ideas, and especially the time to upload some photos. Much appreciated.

The huge concrete tower looks great, would love to have something like that however finding another 3/4 of these could be incredibly difficult and possibly expensive.

I had'nt actually considered running a "tourist" style steamer, that's a cool idea. It would also mean that if I rigged up the tower to mechanically function by hand rather than electronically I wouldn't have my hand on the layout all the time. Only when the steamer was running.

What it might also give me is a means to run the small tourist Steamer, perhaps out to see some kind of historic abandoned station or a restored historic station, that housed a few "restored" steamers. This could make a nice small point to point route with a loop at the end returning on the same track.

I have a reasonable sized space under the house were moving into next Saturday, so this little tourist route could easily wander off somewhere along side the unused wall.

You've sparked something here Ed, I like the way you think.
Cheers for the welcome and your help!

Now if I was modeling this tourist style layout, have you any suggestions of some somewhat interesting or "stand out" American steamers that would make a good tourist attraction ? I should really go and read the several books I collected recently on steam but I'm not a very good reader.. I tend to loose my concentration very quickly.

Thanks again,
Joe

#9 · (Edited)
There are a bunch you can pick from.

I say the older the better for a scenic RR.

How about something like this with some old wooden coaches on the back?:D:thumbsup:

Vehicle Illustration

Tyco made some.
Change the wood to coal?

Locomotive Vehicle Transport Train Steam engine

I think these would be good for tourists.:D:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
Transport Locomotive Steam engine Railway Vehicle

#13 ·
I was on the second day of my vacation....slept in a little, when I got up and walked into the living room, Peter Jennings was talking about a plane that had hit one of the towers. As the camera was on the scene, that's when the second plane hit...been awhile since I used the language that came out of my mouth at that moment...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.