Model Train Forum banner

Polar Express Smoke

21K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  overlander 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have trouble getting the PE locomotive to smoke? :confused: I checked the button to make sure it was on and I can see a tiny bit come out at times but you can barely see it when it is moving. I have the O gauge version of Lionel's set and it says it was manufactured in August 2010. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
You can't overdo the fluid. To get a good puff the air hole needs to be open. A cleaning may be in order. Other than making sure it has current all you can do is rebuild it or replace it. Lionel should have some technical information on smoke unit care.

#4 ·
I have one of these too , and I have the same problem . I didn't even know those switches were back there until you mentioned them . So , thanks for that . I've put oil in mine several times trying to get it to smoke . ( If a little is good , a lot must be better . Right ? ) So now I'll try cleaning it out and get back to this thread on Sunday . If it works for you , please let us know . Cliff

#5 ·
I checked my engine out today . Looking in the smokestack I can see an open hole in the rear and what appeared to be a fibrous material in the front half . I didn't see much of a way to clean it out , so I decided to take the train body off . The assembler stripped out one of the screw heads , so I had to drill it out . Now it's only held together with three screws . Might be hard to find one to fit , but the threads are fine . Taking it apart didn't help though . I couldn't do much more that way , than together . It was interesting to see inside anyway . Now it's back together , sans screw , and runs fine , but still doesn't smoke and the whistle is still barely audible . Cliff

#6 ·
I have to say I'm disappointed with this train. Besides the smoke (or lack thereof) it seems to have a weak motor. We have a set-up with graduated trestle and it barely can go up the elevated sections and once it heads down it seems to be a run-away train. My MTH trains are nice and steady the whole way (both up and down). I would consider this particular train set to be many people's introduction into the hobby or at least into Lionel trains so you would think they would put out a better unit in order to get the repeat business. I can say I will seriously reconsider buying a Lionel locomotive again.

#7 ·
I feel your pain Mr. T . My engine runs great , but I don't have any hills . I am disappointed with both the smoke and the whistle , but frankly , I knew I was buying a new Lionel instead of an old one . Their new cars are crap too . I bought a caboose that has the front truck held on and swiveling with just a cruddy plastic push pin , but I have a train for now and will hit the train shows and join a local club here in northeast Indiana , and as money allows , I'll replace this new junk with old quality . It's been a real learning experience for me . Cliff

#8 ·
I just got the PE for Christmas and mine has an August 2010 manufacturing date. I get smoke coming from the unit but it doesn't seem very strong. I'm also having minor issues with going up slight inclines. I have a couple of bridge accessories which lie under the track and cause a slight incline. If I try to run the train very slow it will tend to stop in those areas. Slightly faster speed and I have no problem.

#11 ·
I'd guess about seven or eight , in addition to what I already had in there . It didn't last too long , so I put more in again and it smoked again . I was using the handle of an eighth inch paint brush , dipping it in the bottle and scraping it off on the front inside edge of the smokestack . I figured I had nothing to lose by trying . Cliff

#12 ·
I too have the PE set. It is the first set I've had since I was a kid. When I bought it I didn't really know alot about Lionel. Mine doesn't smoke for crap either. I did find that if I let it sit fully powered up in neutral that it would start to smoke. Then it would smoke ok for 1 lap around the track. I since have learned that some of the older locos seem to be made better. I bought the warhorse set at a model train show. It was made in 1996 right here in the U.S.A. It has a Norfolk and Wester J locomotive #600. When I put smoke fluid in this one I get better smoke production. I did notice that it is better with more fluid and the directions that came with it recommend 4-8 drops. I have to say I like this loco alot more than the PE, plus it has the chuffing sound and a much better and realistic whistle. I think it has alot more sounds, but I don't have the TMCC controller that it needs. Either way it is still an awesome locomotive in my amateur opinion. My only question is: is there a smoke fluid that works better than another or are they all the same?

#15 ·
Thanks for the input , TJCruiser . I haven't been messsing with my smoke since I dumped a whole bunch in . Been busy building buildings and such , but maybe I'll work on that smoke situation again this weekend . It seems like such a simple set-up , I can't imagine it not working well . Cliff

#16 ·
Just got mine today through Amazon.com and the looks of the set is impressive. Mine was also made in August of 2010 (must have been when they ran a bunch of these). I have the same problem with the smoke system. It just doesn't work! I'll try adding more smoke fluid to see if that helps. I too put the train in neutral and powered up the transformer to max power for about 20 seconds, then powered down, put the train in forward and added about 3/4 power. It gave me about 4 puffs and that was it. Has anyone contacted Lionel about this? Seems if enough complained they would see fit to fix the problem. Can't be good publicity for Lionel

#20 ·
I purchased the chuffing sound coal tender with the bell and whistle, as well as some recorded communications with controller and engineer. Nice touch to a good looking train; but, still no smoke! Having trouble with it derailing through fastrack switches, too.
You would think for the price you pay for this stuff it would have a little better quality and not be "made in China".

#24 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any knowledge of anybody just packing the damned thing up and sending it back to Lionel with a note that says, "FIX IT"? I wonder what the results would be? It certainly does not smoke as represented in Lionel's literature.
I have added the diner and the baggage car, along with the chuffing sound coal tender and I must say, except for the smoke, it makes a very nice looking and sounding train.
Now that being said, see my other post on the problem I'm having with this locomotive running through Fastrack switches.

#26 ·
I read all the previous post and don't feel like trying to fix a new engine. I'll leave that up to someone with a lot more experience with these toy trains than me. If anybody has any success at fixing the problem, I hope they'll post it here. But, back to my question above, has anybody talked to Lionel about this? I sent them an email and have yet to get a response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.