American Pickers Commercial - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, O, G, N, OO
American Pickers Commercial

So I was watching some Modern Marvels and a commercial for American Pickers comes on and apparently they found an old Lionel standard gauge train set. They had it appraised and the guy said there were only 10-11 in existence and that it was worth 30K. I only know of one engine of that rarity and you can still see one on ebay from time to time and the cars did not look special in terms of rarity so what makes this one so rare?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Reckers
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: S Scale and N scale suitcase train!
Knowing nothing about Lionel, but having seen the show, I'd say the creative writers on the show made it that rare. It's like the stuff "found" in the storage units on Storage Wars: it's worth that much because they said so. By the way, did you ever notice how every one of them just happens to be an expert on some obscure item, when it was made, how many were made and the exact value, right there on the spot? It's all just entertainment---they make that stuff up.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
eljefe
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O & N
I haven't seen the episode you're talking about, but all those kinds of shows (Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, etc.) seem to vastly overestimate the value of the things they "find."
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Reckers
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: S Scale and N scale suitcase train!
I've read enough comments from people who have seen episodes being filmed with scripts, etc., to have no doubt that Storage Wars is just plain fiction. The auctioneer, Dan, is real, but he put the show together with several of his auction regular customers as the cast.
I have a suspicion that each episode, he contacts his favorite antique stores and asks for items that are interesting and could use some free advertisement. He salts the storage units with the items and briefs the "bidders" on the background of the item so they can "recognize" it and describe it in detail. They then take it to the antique store that actually owns it to be appraised. The antique store gives it an inflated value and puts it back on the shelf. Somebody comes along, sees it and knows it's worth that much because they saw it on Storage Wars. By the way, did you notice that after a few token bids by the extras, the same people always win? How could that happen in real life?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
eljefe
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O & N
Yes, all those kinds of shows seem scripted and planted with interesting items assessed to be worth far more than they really are.
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
gc53dfgc
Station Master

not denying that a lot of it is scripted but it was for a show that has not aired yet. I am wondering if there really is a standard gauge set that rare, what it is, and just how much it is really worth.

The train has already been bought as they record shows about a year ahead. I am just curious how out of line the price really is and what that model is.

and storage wars is a complete ripoff. it is more comedy than anything else.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
big ed
Railroad Baron

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Talking

Stop picking on the pickers.
Don't you see them climbing all over the junk pulling out treasure that has been sitting there for 100 years?

I don't care if they make it more "interesting". I like the show.

big ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
Rare use to be hard to find. Now you just pay more. I laugh at their prices. Some are hi and others are low. The show is for entertainment not for price guides. The shed wars are funny too. They say " I can get 75 bucks for this!
I say yeah right.

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information
T-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Kwikster
Paper Shuffler Extraordinaire

Scales Modeled: O
On both shows, I have seen a very few items legitly priced to a "fair market value" but those are rare. On Pickers, most of their prices are "asking" prices, doubt they get it. I've seen a few times where they got upside down on an item, paying way more that it was worth.

Carl

Carl Sagan
Kwikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
gc53dfgc
Station Master

I still like the show but I find it near impossible to have found (what looked mint) complete brand new set and have it be worth the 30K. We shall see when the show airs.