converting to TMCC - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
bud
Hobo

converting to TMCC

I'm just starting out and have four engines . I would like to convert all of them so I can use the TMCC, how do I go about that?
bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
What are the specifics of the four engines?

The easiest way to convert them would be to use the Electric RailRoad (ERR) conversion stuff, they have models to work with AC or DC motors, and for DC motors you can also have cruise control. They also have sound stuff. For a good deal on the ERR equipment, you can contact Bill at ModernToyTrainParts, he sells them at a discount.

Note that there are different kits for AC and DC motors, also for steamers or diesels. I've done a number of these conversions for both steam and diesel, as well as converting smaller stuff to TMCC, so when you're ready to pull the trigger, we'll be here to help you out.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Cape T/A
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: O guage
I didnt know that could even be done, very cool.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

I have several threads on conversions I've done in the forums, and there are others as well. A basic conversion of a diesel is very easy, steamers are sometimes a bit more complicated.

You can also do conversions to DCS (ProtoSound 2), the MTH command system, I've recently gotten into their stuff as well.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
BigAl56
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O
Without knowing the specific make and model of your engines it's hard to answer your question. Sort of like walking into an auto parts store and saying you have a "car" and want to order a new engine.

My first question is why? TMCC? There are good reasons to use it but are they good enough reasons to go through the time and expense to make the conversion? Is it just for sound? There are Railsounds cars out there that will get you that without rewiring and reworking the engine.

Please let us know what and why and I think we can offer solutions to help.
BigAl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Well, I made the assumption that he was interested in command operation, but maybe that was a hasty judgment. That's usually the reason for looking at TMCC/Legacy.

The process is similar for AC or DC locomotives, only the exact TMCC package would be different. I've done AC and DC in both steamers and diesels.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Cape T/A
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: O guage
what is command operation?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Here you go, you can read all about it.

The Benefits of Lionel TrainMaster Command Control (TMCC)
Old 08-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
bud
Hobo

Thanks for the info. I"m planning on running the four engines and have been reading how TMCC can control one or more engines on the same track. I do have a ZW transformer and I know that I can run one or more trains on the same track but they will be running at the same speed. Thanks again for the insite.
bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
BigAl56
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O
Are you planning on having more than one operator? I have a large layout with Legacy and find it nearly impossible to run more than one train on the same track at the same time by myself. It is very difficult to sync the speed of two different trains let alone 4. I'm thinking my house record for running two trains on the same track without incident is around 5 minutes. Sooner or later one train will overtake the other.

If your plan is to have an operating session with multiple operators equipped with legacy controls then that will work fine and you will have the ability to create a true model railroad. Either way we'd love to see an operating session on youtube.

If you decide to go all-in with TMCC/legacy there are conversion kits out there to convert older non electronic engines to TMCC. Without knowing specifically what engines you have it's difficult to make a specific recommendation.

If your engines are Postwar, 1945-69 Lionel, rather than damage their value I suggest leaving them as they are and obtaining some inexpensive MPC era, 1970-86, Lionel engines and upgrade them. MPC offerings generally have much lower value than PW or modern era and upgrading them to TMCC might actually increase their value.
BigAl56 is offline   Reply With Quote