Model Train Forum banner

Control panel project (in progress)

27K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  sjm9911 
#1 · (Edited)
thread describing the CDU that drives the turnouts was moved here

printed out layout diagram, glued it to piece of plywood and screwed sheet of plexiglas. drilled through holes for tactile micro buttons. i got the ones with longer shank so about millimeter is protruding. the holes for indication diodes are through plywood only.

and thats what i got

besides the fact it came out somewhat sloppy for my taste i realised that i decided to use pair of push buttons per turnout. yet again i hit my head with the same impatience stick :rolleyes: redesign was inevitable. i removed the top plexi cover and used it as back. cut another piece to size to serve as the new front cover. cut the middle plywood away leaving the borders for strength and as something to screw the panel to

printed out new sheet with improved buttons and indicators layout. glued it to the plexi back and drilled 3mm holes for LEDs and pilot holes for the buttons.

lined up the two sheets, screwed them together and enlarged the pilot hole to hold the buttons.
looks cleaner now :)

underside. marked the turnouts for less confusion during wiring. buttons are held in place with dabs of adhesive caulk. when dry it proved to hold them very nicely - took some effort to get them out of plywood. i will solder wire leads to LEDs before installing.

since there is some room inside the enclosure i will try to install the capacitor discharge units into it as well (blank proto PCBs shown)

and finally , thats how it will look when done :D
this time i'm quite happy with what i see

See less See more
#6 ·
not at the moment obviously, but the plan is to constantly have indication of route selected displayed. i will be using bi-polar LEDs and all of them will be lit. green/green (quasi "Clear" aspect ) for straight through routes and red/green "medium clear" when diverging route selected. the left most turnout has direct indication for each rout, green for active one, red for the other

#7 ·
Great job. Need a video of it in action when completed :)

I wanted to do something like that for my layout but I don't have the patience.. or skill for that matter. I might do it for the smaller one I built though which is more analog based, with only digital train control.

I just started doing the proof of concept stuff for my large layout control and it's very frustrating... contact tracks and feedback and routes and bla bla bla.. barely have anything to show for two night's work.

#8 · (Edited)
soldered leads with header connectors to buttons.
soldered wires to the LEDs as well. lucky me i decided to test them prior to gluing them in. i distinctly remember ordering bi color LED' in green/red. and what i got is Blue/ red :mad: WTF!!! what do i do with blue/red!?
EDIT: bunch of police cars perhaps, but chase scene from blues brothers is not something i'm going to model

off shopping again and then desoldering the already wired LEDs :( ...

i guess i can use them as reds only...
if anyone wants blue/red let me know, i have a bunch of them

#16 ·
soldered new LEDs to lead wires flattened the dome and glued them into the panel. everything looks the same apart that there are twice as much wires sticking from the underside now. a jungle...

started on the boards these LEDs plug in to. powered from the non current blocking side of the CDU ( the left wire terminals basically direct connected to the power plug) . as a second option boards can be powered from the DC or DCC rail voltage (program/run toggle) with polarity kept constant or rectified with schottky diode bridge and voltage regulated with 7805.

i went through that bag of chinese diodes and tested every single one. about 80% were blue/red. the rest were actually green/red and there were coupe of 3 legged ones. lucky my to get an odd bag.

#21 · (Edited)
ohh, all is good :)
just came back from trip to Europe, litterally couple hours ago (logged in last night to check us in for the flight back) - first vacation in past 1.5 years. we flew into vienna, then took hydrofoil ship to bratislava slovakia, then train to prague czech republic and rented a car for day trip into dresden germany. all in 7 days.

foto report of railroad and model railroad related activities (scale live steam ride, shops, etc) coming up as soon as i overcome the jet-lag.

G
#23 ·
seeking power requirements

to tankist,
Your control panel looks great. Are those switches with lights commonly available? How many power contacts do you have to run trains plus accessories on your layout? are they 12 volt or more? Sorry I am new to this so my question may be basic. I am building a 6'x 15' , hoping to run 3 or 4 trains on 3 tracks. what power requirements do you regard I would need?

#25 · (Edited)
to tankist,
Your control panel looks great. Are those switches with lights commonly available? How many power contacts do you have to run trains plus accessories on your layout? are they 12 volt or more? Sorry I am new to this so my question may be basic. I am building a 6'x 15' , hoping to run 3 or 4 trains on 3 tracks. what power requirements do you regard I would need?
was cleaning up my threads and realized i never replied. he never logged in after but still... i must have somehow i missed this post, srry dude.

yes, tactile micro push buttons and LEDs are commonly available. not sure what do you mean by "power contacts", if you mean power leads i have one or two per isolated district. panel is powered from power on rails (regulated down to 5V and rectified in case powered by DCC). one good powerpack most probably will run 3-4 trains

#27 · (Edited)
Tanklist route displayed correctly through wiring

draw a schematic, color code the wires, follow the drawing, that should reasonably get you closer to your destination of a displayed route. Also use terminal strips with jumpers,
wire or metal for keeping the wire routing neat, and use tie wraps and number the wires to reduce confusion, lug the wires for easy connection to the terminal strips.
Radio Shack may have a small how too booklet on wiring techniques.
Remember to make, and have a plan to follow, to reduce confusion and take your time and follow your drawing when wiring.
regards,
tr1

#28 · (Edited)
Where to get some?

Above, I was replying too two rail's question about the difficulty of displaying the route assigned to the train by illuminating the track schematic on the control panel board One thing now I'll be trying to attempt after my PAYPAL card is set up and the proper vendors
of micro switches are determined. I'm Still looking for vendor's of micro switches to purchase. Does anyone have a solution for vendor's or ideas? Thank you in advance, I'm still doing dc.

#30 ·
Not so John, tworail supposedly posted this late last year,
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?p=168183#post168183

Though I don't think it was him doing the posting. :smokin:

Tankist MIA since July. Even then he just came on to vote Xrunner from returning to the site.

Now B&M the SUPER MOD? It has been over 2 years.

#31 ·
Nice panel, I would love to be able to make a nice one like that, but I don't think my woodworking/cutting skills would be up to it:D
What did you use for the top layer just beneath that perspex? It needs to be thin I suppose so the buttons come through enough to screw them in?

Anyway nice work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.