Caboose industries ground throws - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:57 AM   #11
Overkast
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO, currently N
Nice... great solution.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
traction fan
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N
West Track nail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontodd View Post
Tractionfan you are certainly a helpful gentleman. I tried my hand at the peco syle spring and it seems to work! I used a track nail to drill the hole in the throwbar and tie, and a staple for the spring!

mtf build thread http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=102266
irontodd;

I saw this and your later post in this thread, saying that you had "borked up a throwbar" trying to drill a hole. Well, if you were trying to drill a hole in an Atlas turnout's flimsy throwbar with a track nail ( and I'm guessing, no backing underneath) I'm not surprised that it was damaged. Still, you certainly have my sympathy. No one likes a broken turnout! (that's one reason I build my own as strong as possible.)
You are certainly welcome for any help I was able to give you. That's a big part of what we do here on the forum. I hope I did not lead you into drilling with a track nail by my recommendations of drilling soft cork roadbed with sharpened tube or wire. I would only drill holes in a throwbar or tie using miniature drill bits, in a pin vise, and with a flat piece of brass, or strip wood, under the throwbar to back it up during the drilling operation.
I'm glad you were able to fix your own problem, even though it meant pulling up your track; whatever works.
If by chance you ever want to try the spring idea again, in addition to better drilling tools, and techniques, I would suggest making the spring slightly longer, and putting a bigger bend in it. You can't make it big enough to snag a passing rail car, but below that limit, straightening out the bend a bit makes the spring slightly longer, and vise versa, this gives you some degree of adjustment to get the length just right.

regards;

Traction Fan
Old 01-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #13
irontodd
Gang Labourer

Traction fan, I only fault myself, I should know better than to do what I did but I don't yet have a pin vise and really wanted to get the turnouts working. None of your other commentary led me to make that mistake. Being anxious just got the best of me. Anyways it turns out I like the look of the extra space! One day I will learn to build my own turnouts, since I am not at that level yet I went with atlas due to the tighter geometry. Pecos didn't fit what I wanted to do in the space I have. Lessons learned though (and I know this in home and auto repair) make sure you have the right tools and the right parts, also don't cram as much track in as you think you can, make sure you have room for scenery (and operating details) before you get going.
Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it, and your sympathy though not necessary.

Eastern Plains - Holyoke, Idalia and Towner (EPHIT) Branch build thread http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=102266
irontodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #14
traction fan
Dispatcher

West Excellent start!

Quote:
Traction fan, I only fault myself, I should know better than to do what I did but I don't yet have a pin vise and really wanted to get the turnouts working. None of your other commentary led me to make that mistake. Being anxious just got the best of me. Anyways it turns out I like the look of the extra space! One day I will learn to build my own turnouts, since I am not at that level yet I went with atlas due to the tighter geometry. Pecos didn't fit what I wanted to do in the space I have. Lessons learned though (and I know this in home and auto repair) make sure you have the right tools and the right parts, also don't cram as much track in as you think you can, make sure you have room for scenery (and operating details) before you get going.
Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it, and your sympathy though not necessary.

Eastern Plains - Holyoke, Idalia and Towner (EPHIT) Branch build thread http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=102266
irontodd;

No worries! I just didn't want to sound like I was talking down to you. I've been at this hobby for a long time and I may tend to pontificate a bit. I just checked out your track plan, photos and video. It looks like you have been doing this a long time too! Great start. You may want to look at your amount of track. What some folks consider "cramming in as much track as you can" others might see as "wide open spaces." We never have enough room for all the features we want. Also the space-gobbling return loops needed for continuous running can be "scenically challenging." You just can't fit all that much inside them, and it can be hard to disguise their essentially "round and round the little train goes" appearance. One good way of minimizing both problems is to divide the layout down the middle with a double-sided backdrop, or hill high enough to restrict the view to one side at a time. The N-scale club I used to belong to (I moved) had many turn-back curves along their twelve scale mile main line, but the terrain separated the scenes so effectively that you really seamed to be traveling from one town to another, rather than around a loop. Of course this required people aisles on both sides of the bench-work. I don't know if that's practical for you, or not. If you haven't already thought about access to the "back" side of your layout, it's a good idea to do so. Reaching the complex trackwork back there will be necessary! If the railroad is going to butt up against a wall, you might want to put large casters on the legs so you can easily move it out when you need to. If you are lucky enough to have plenty of space (I'm not!) then creating separate scenes becomes possible.
As for turnouts, building your own is much, much, cheaper in dollars; but eats up huge amounts of time. Besides saving money, it also lets you build whatever size and shape you need, and you can make them strong enough to last practically forever. The same cannot be said for Atlas! In fact about all I can say in their favor is that the N-scale ones are better than the HO-scale ones ("snap switch" in both cases.) and they're cheap (sadly in both senses of the word.) Peco is the best commercial turnout available in my, and a host of other modelers, opinion. You might consider gradually switching over to them, both despite, and because, they aren't the same shape as the Atlas ones. Atlas "snap switch" turnouts contain a curve. (a generous 19" radius for N-scale, a tight and crooked 18" radius in HO-scale.) The N-scale 19" radius curve can be a help when it's used as an easement into a tighter curve like your 15" r. industrial curves. It can also be a potential problem when you build a siding parallel to the main, or some arrangements of parallel yard tracks. The former inevitably contains a reverse curve, one of the main culprits in derailments. The yard lead doesn't have to include reverse curves, but often does.
Peco, Walthers, Micro Engineering, and most prototype, turnouts don't contain any curves. One straight track diverges from another straight track at an angle. When they are used to access a parallel track, the train moves from straight track onto one direction of curve. In the Atlas set up, the train moves from, say a left curve, (in the turnout itself) directly into a right curve.(needed to get the side track parallel to the main.) This is more severe in the HO version than the N version, but it exists in both. Backing a string of cars through a reverse curve can work, but it puts forces on the trucks and couplers that can cause derailments. Of course it's your choice, but you may want to consider rearranging your track to use the more reliable Peco turnouts.

again, great start;

Traction Fan
Old 01-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
traction fan
Dispatcher

This is just a test please ignore. http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showt...build+turnouts
Old 01-14-2017, 11:36 PM   #16
irontodd
Gang Labourer

Some of the comments here are starting to get a little off topic but i will address those in my bild thread.

irontodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM   #17
traction fan
Dispatcher

West You're right

Quote:
Some of the comments here are starting to get a little off topic but i will address those in my bild thread.

irontodd;

You're right. I did go wandering way off the original topic!
Sorry;

Traction Fan