This is a glimpse of the lights comparison. The kit comes with two green and two red light signals at 24 volts. The kit was bought at the Wilmington show at a discount because it had no hoods for the bulbs. That was when I agreed on the LED upgrade.
Technical stuff: The wiring is eight strand phone wire, perfect for the application of eight LEDs connected in pairs. I used 10mm Dome LEDs a bit oversized from the original but more showy. The plan is to use it with an IR 153 Lionel detector.
The base is quarter plywood with a cap to a water jug painted black. The holes are quarter inch but slightly enlarged to hold the LED in place. (where was a 10mm drill when you need it).
I used a 4/32 by 5/8 screw to hold it in place. The bridge frame had a hole so I just epoxied the screw in.
The plywood was trimmed to fit
Every step of soldering had an operational test.
The phone wire was kept sleeved to run it down the side of the bridge.
A hole was drilled into the base for the wire.