Model Train Forum banner

Forums wants to use my current location.

4K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  ED-RRR 
#1 ·
Lately when I access the forums with my I get a message that asks if if modeltrainforums could use my current location. I hit ok. When I go into any other section, I get the same message. This happens all the time. Is there any way to stop this message from appearing?

#3 ·
Part of your post was missing, and presumed that you are talking about a mobile device( iPad,iPhone, etc.). I get the same thing, but click NO, and then continue. It is apparently just affecting mobile devices, so don't know the cure.

#8 ·
Other than my desktop computer, the only thing I access this site with is an iPad Air, which earlier today I did have the issue. This afternoon I didn't get that prompt on the screen, but what I did was a "Hard Reset" of the iPad, to initially 'Reboot it'. The issue of wanting to know my location, no longer shows up. So if you still have that problem with your mobile devices, try doing a HARD RESET, to clear out the cache and memory of the device. See it that cures it.

#14 ·
Location tracking can be turned off:

iOS iPhones and iPads (iOS 6 and later):

• Go to Settings, then Privacy, then Location Services. You can turn it off. Alternatively, you can choose which functions and apps to give access to your location.
    • To disable geo-tagging of photos, deny location access to the camera, in Location Services.
    • To disable location history, go to Settings, then Privacy, then Location Services, then System Services, then Frequent Locations. Deselect Frequent Locations by sliding the tab.
(Source: California Attorney General’s Office)

From http://www.connectsafely.org/how-to-disable-location-on-your-mobile-device

#16 ·
Haven't been able to recreat this yet. Can you try clearing your history through your browser? It will ask one more time as you get back online, but if it keeps asking after every section we'll have to send in a ticket. Can you also check you settings for cookies on your device? If it's set to block, it might not be registering your choice.

Kevin

#28 ·
Hey guys,

Jus to confirm, are you experiencing these pop-ups after going to your iPad settings->Privacy->And On the top of the page you will see "Location Services" You can shut that off for all apps.

Please confirm that you have shut that off.

Thank you,

Richard.

#29 ·
Do what vs-Admin just suggested. I am on an iPad Air and until I turned off "location services", I would randomly get your same pop up. I turned off my location, and haven't had the problem since. It ONLY affects mobile devices, and nothing else.

You should be running version 9.3.1 on your iPad

#31 ·
And POOF!!!!! Your problem stopped, didn't it. I can temporarily turn location again for an app that requires it.

#33 ·
This is the only forum that I had your same problem, but once the "location" was turned off, it stopped. Other than that, you have to live with it.

#34 ·
"Malware Intrusion"..

Special Notes:
As [gunrunnerjohn] stated, he had contacted "VS"..
As of 2015-10-01T07:49:16.00Z
ModelTrainForum.com is owned by Vertical Scope Inc. (Toronto - Ontario - Canada)..

Warning: (#1)
- To me it looks like a "Malware Intrusion"..

"Malware" is an umbrella term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software,
including computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, adware, scareware,
and other malicious programs..
It can take the form of executable code, scripts, active content, and other software..

My Actual Facts:
- I am using "Google Chrome" on my home P.C.
- I also have a very powerful (Best) malware software program
- I have never received a malware program from ModelTrainForum.com
- This problem has "Nothing" to do with Vertical Scope Inc. (ModelTrainForum.com)

Your Actual Facts:
It sure looks like that:
--> some iPad, and some droid phone users do "Not" have protections against "Malware"..
--> that there is an intrusion from a 2nd party..

Warning: (#2)
- A "Malware Intrusion" can be very dangerous, up to the point of taking "All" of your "Private Information"..

Caution: (#1)
- Also keep a very close look on the "Cookies" you want..
- I personally do "Not" like keeping any "Cookies", because what is being "Allowed" on the operating system ??

Fact:
- Without any malware software protection, the "Same" intrusion will occur !!

Supplied Picture:
This is "Defiantly" a "Malware Intrusion"..
Clicking "OK" will "Allow" excess to your I.P. Address !! (Very Dangerous) !!

Text Font Software Screenshot Technology

#35 ·
I can't speak for other devices, speaking of those similar to an iPad, but the chance of Malware on an iPad is very very slim, to none.

#36 ·
"Warning"

I can't speak for other devices, speaking of those similar to an iPad, but the chance of Malware on an iPad is very very slim, to none.
Sorry:
This is (100%) untrue !!
[teledoc]:--> is very very slim, to none .. iPad Users !!

Warning:
Malware on an iPad ..

How to Protect Your iPad From Malware and Viruses:
--> http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad-Protection/fl/How-to-Protect-Your-iPad-From-Malware-and-Viruses.htm

Researchers unearth scary new iOS malware, but Apple says it won’t affect devices with iOS 8.4 or later
http://bgr.com/2015/10/05/iphone-ipad-malware-yispecter/
iPad malware warning

How can I check for viruses or malware on my iPad ?
https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-check-for-viruses-or-malware-on-my-iPad ..

[teledoc] --> There are also many more .. _:rolleyes:_
Warnings, on the internet..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.