Another train store closes... - Page 4 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Model Trains in the News
Forgotten your password?

Model Trains in the News See what the mainstream media is saying about our great hobby!

Old 04-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #31
flyboy2610
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO, too blind and fumble fingered for N
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstuff View Post
I sincerely believe our children will be showing off our layouts and collections with pictures and videos on their phones to their friends telling them "This is what my Dad blew my inheritance on".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarfar View Post
LOL...yes, you're probably right...and cursing us to no end!
They'll get over it.
If not, we won't be around to care anyway, will we?
flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #32
ecarfar
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
They'll get over it.
If not, we won't be around to care anyway, will we?
Nope...and they'll be getting treatment for the carpal tunnel syndrome from pressing all those video game buttons....
ecarfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #33
DennyM
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
Quote:
I have an even darker view on all of this....I'm 55 and have been involved with HO and N scale since I was a child, it's a part of my life....my kids could care less, as many times as I tried to get them involved in any of my hobbies, they gravitate to the electronic games. They do nothing mechanical. I'm thinking that in the next 40 to 50 years, anything we own now will be worthless junk. Our heirs won't have a clue what to do with it, no market for anything on eBay. it will be forgotten junk. All the time we spent soldering decoders and the hours upon hours making scenery and doing maintenance on the layout will have been for ourselves, not anyone else. it's sad but I think it applies to a lot of people in my generation, when we're gone, our stuff will be gone too. I guess James Taylor was right...."The secret of life is enjoying the passing of time..."
40 to 50 years is a lifetime. People change as they get older. I don't see the world as I did in my teens and twenties.

A friend was listening to 70's music and his kids who listens to that hip hop crap said, "Wow Dad your music was cool." Now they listen to it too.

Southwest Michigan Modular Train Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #34
ecarfar
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyM View Post
40 to 50 years is a lifetime. People change as they get older. I don't see the world as I did in my teens and twenties.

A friend was listening to 70's music and his kids who listens to that hip hop crap said, "Wow Dad your music was cool." Now they listen to it too.
Yes! That's seems to be the one thing that transcends the generations...when I was a kid NO ONE listened to Benny Goodman or Frank Sinatra like our parent did...today, my kids listen to Led Zeppelin, the Stones, etc...heck, my 23 yer old son has a picture of Frank Zappa on his wall! But, sadly...all this interest in rock in the youth of today also has its roots in video games...my kids were introduced to it by Guitar Hero...it was HUGE...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #35
DennyM
Dispatcher

Quote:
Yes! That's seems to be the one thing that transcends the generations...when I was a kid NO ONE listened to Benny Goodman or Frank Sinatra like our parent did...today, my kids listen to Led Zeppelin, the Stones, etc...heck, my 23 yer old son has a picture of Frank Zappa on his wall! But, sadly...all this interest in rock in the youth of today also has its roots in video games...my kids were introduced to it by Guitar Hero...it was HUGE...
I grew up listening to big bands until I was twelve and then I started listening to the music my friends were.

TCA #16-71617

Old 05-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #36
ecarfar
Hobo

USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyM View Post
I grew up listening to big bands until I was twelve and then I started listening to the music my friends were.
Oh GAWD....NEVER! Appreciate it now but if you listened to that stuff where I lived...you got a butt kicking.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #37
CTValleyRR
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
I have an even darker view on all of this....I'm 55 and have been involved with HO and N scale since I was a child, it's a part of my life....my kids could care less, as many times as I tried to get them involved in any of my hobbies, they gravitate to the electronic games. They do nothing mechanical. I'm thinking that in the next 40 to 50 years, anything we own now will be worthless junk. Our heirs won't have a clue what to do with it, no market for anything on eBay. it will be forgotten junk. All the time we spent soldering decoders and the hours upon hours making scenery and doing maintenance on the layout will have been for ourselves, not anyone else. it's sad but I think it applies to a lot of people in my generation, when we're gone, our stuff will be gone too. I guess James Taylor was right...."The secret of life is enjoying the passing of time..."
Darker?

I don't do this to provide a legacy to my kids. I do it because I enjoy it. The hours soldering decoders and making scenery were invested because it's what I wanted to do to make my model railroad something I would enjoy.

When I'm gone, if the kids want to shove everything into a box and sell it, that's fine with me (I'll be past caring).

Likewise, I'm a little less worked up about the demise of the LHS than many. Commerce is constantly evolving, and I don't see the new wave of the future as any less satisfying than the old way. So long as I can get what I need, at a reasonable price, I'm happy. The Internet has given me access to items I would never have found otherwise, and often at better prices.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #38
DennyM
Dispatcher

Quote:
Oh GAWD....NEVER! Appreciate it now but if you listened to that stuff where I lived...you got a butt kicking.
My mother and father wanted me exposed to all kinds of music. They also bought me 45's of The Beatles, Donavon, The Four Seasons, Petula Clark and the Temptations. Everything from big bands to rock to R&B. Plus I started playing bass in 1970 and listened to anything that had a great bass line.

TCA #16-71617

Old 05-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #39
ebtnut
Gang Labourer

Another one bites the dust. This shop is a few miles west of Sykesville, MD -

Dear Valued Moose Caboose Customer,
April marks 15 years in business for The Moose Caboose. After all these wonderful years, it is with great sadness that we've decided to close our retail store. I am retiring from the retail business to devote time and effort to other ventures. This has been a very hard decision for The Moose Caboose family.
We will be closing the store by the end of June. More information about our closing will be coming soon.
As of May 1st, all sales will be final. We are still happy to order in-stock items at our usual generous discounts from our vendors until the end of May. If you placed anything on back order with us - please contact us so we can give you alternative options as to how you will be receiving these orders. If you are holding on to any unexpired gift certificates, we urge you to use them soon.
Over the many years, we are grateful to have met so many terrific people and have been blessed over and over. We sincerely appreciate all your support over the years.
Your Truly,
Glen Stegmiller
Owner
ebtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #40
JNXT 7707
Engineer

Quote:
I have an even darker view on all of this....I'm 55 and have been involved with HO and N scale since I was a child, it's a part of my life....my kids could care less, as many times as I tried to get them involved in any of my hobbies, they gravitate to the electronic games. They do nothing mechanical. I'm thinking that in the next 40 to 50 years, anything we own now will be worthless junk. Our heirs won't have a clue what to do with it, no market for anything on eBay. it will be forgotten junk.............
I dunno...it might just be your kids

I see hundreds of kids at train shows that excited to be around model trains. My grandkids go nuts when they catch sight of them.

I agree it's a changing world - it always has been. But I'd bet the house that ebay will be doing just fine helping model railroaders buy and sell our stuff in the next 40 to 50 years
JNXT 7707 is offline   Reply With Quote