joining kato to atlas track ho scale - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Beginner Q & A
Forgotten your password?

Beginner Q & A If you're new to model trains, stop in here!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
little fat buddy
Conductor

joining kato to atlas track ho scale

hi guys just wondered what are some ways i could use atlas track and kato unitrack together in ho scale mainly wanting to use atlas turnouts since the kato ones are a tad pricey thanks
LFB
little fat buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
prrfan
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by little fat buddy View Post
hi guys just wondered what are some ways i could use atlas track and kato unitrack together in ho scale mainly wanting to use atlas turnouts since the kato ones are a tad pricey thanks
LFB
It's easy. Kato HO Unitrack is code 83 so be sure your Atlas track is also Code 83. Get the Atlas track up to the same level as the Kato using cork roadbed, foam etc.
Remove the Unijoiner from the Unitrack and use regular rail joiners. You may find that a Code 83 joiner is a bit loose on the Unitrack because the foot or base of the rail is smaller.
You can use Peco code 70 joiners for this. They fit the Unitrack well. They are a bit snug on the Atlas but they will go on and it makes a good tight connection.
I suppose you could crimp a code 83 joiner but I think the code 70 is a cleaner way to go.
I don't solder my connections because I like to change the track work once in a while but you certainly could. I never have had any conductivity problems.
Hope this helps and have fun!
Dan
prrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
little fat buddy
Conductor

okay awesome do you have a part number for the peco rail joiners i will give thsi a try and see how ti goes thanks again lfb.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
prrfan
Hobo

You are welcome and I'm glad you asked about the part #. SL-110
They are actually Code 75, not 70 as I previously said. Sorry.
I got them from EBay fairly easily.

There is also a way to use N scale rail joiners to do this. You can search that thread but I think the Code 75 joiners work well. Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
little fat buddy
Conductor

awesome yeah i find it alot easier to search for stuff using part numbers this also coems from my other hobby of radio controlled cars i will buy a pack of these joiners and give it a try thank you again for your help
lfb.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
prrfan
Hobo

One further footnote I would add, LFB: This connection with the rail joiners is good electrically but realize when the Unijoiner is removed there is no more locking mechanism between the two track sections.
Simply securing at least the spliced sections of track to the underlayment will prevent the sections from coming apart.
If you are building a permanent layout I would assume all the track will be secured down.
Looking forward to see how your layout progresses.
Dan
Old 06-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
little fat buddy
Conductor

thanks dan yes i'm building a permnent layout all track will be atached to the surface some how im going to use some sort of adheasive probably caulk or the woodland scenics foam tack glue to secure stuff since i have a layer of 2'' inch foam board as a base that is on top of plywood i will be using atlas code 83 for my turnouts the kato ones are kinda pricey and also for the tracks over my biridge will be atlas cuz the height is too tall to use the kato not enough clearnce space thank you for your help alot
LFB