Tranmission Fluid - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
AFnew2
Gang Labourer

Tranmission Fluid

Any thoughts or opinions on transmission fluid for track cleaning?
I cleaned track and wheels on a Franklin. Still had some sparks on tender wheels. Wiped track with tran fluid and arcing went away. Just for the record I put wheels in a drill and wrap scotch brite around them. Then wipe with rubbing alchohol. I clean track with a scotch brite and then rub down with same. Just checking for any problems this may cause later.
AFnew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
cramden
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: S
I don't use it but have heard about it. I only use Isopropyl alcohol(91%) and a soft cloth. I use scotch brite for stubborn areas mostly at the switches. I would worry about the long term effects of trans fluid on Pul-mor tires and the plastic wheels.
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Lehigh74
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O
My 83 and 96 Mustangs used ATF instead of gear oil for gearbox lube. I have heard that some use it for track cleaning and maybe it will cut grime from track, but anything that is used as a lubricant won’t be used for track cleaning on my railroad. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol.
Lehigh74 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Cleaning your track with oil just seems like a really bad idea! Also, ATF attacks some rubber types, something to consider for your traction tires. The seals in a transmission typically a synthetic material that isn't affected by ATF.

Looking to enhance your TMCC Steamers and Passenger Cars?
Super-Chuffer, Chuff-Generator, LED Passenger Car Lighting Kit, LED Lighting Regulator
YLB - RailSounds Battery Replacement, Insulated Track Signal Driver Board
gunrunnerjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
AFnew2
Gang Labourer

ATF

Always good to ask for another opinion...I said rubbing alcohol but meant Isopropyl. Thanks for the comments. More research before I use again.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
For most metal cleaning I use ATF or any oil. Frames track and trucks. If painting I use paint thinner to clean. To me if you use alcohol you clean a lot with oil I admit I don't clean track often. After scotchbrite I like the oil cloth to wipe the track clean. Most important is that I don't have a high end engine on the track either.

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information
T-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
IronManStark
Brakeman

I have used ATF for cleaning gears & gummy motors on my old rivarossi steamers. I have used it for storage of my steel EZ tracks. I also used it for some EZ track I got that was rusted steel & corroded nickel plated track. It cleaned them real well. I use that track on my layout with no problems. With that said I used window cleaner to wipe down the track after I used the ATF on it. Same with the locos I always wipe down the stuff I used ATF on with the window cleaner. Then I use the light weight oil on the moving parts. A small drop goes along way!
I have used the ATF for about 3 years now.
Always test it first though. You just never know with some of the parts that they make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IronManStark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
flyernut
Station Master

I do some repairing/restoring on firearms, and a trick I learned a long time ago was to use ATF on 00000 steel wool to polish bluing, especially on a dirty or rusty barrel. It won't remove pits, etc., but it will polish up bluing very nicely, and it will keep it's luster for quite some time.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #9
AFnew2
Gang Labourer

bluing

I have used very fine steel wool and gun oil to remove small rust spots on firearms but never used the ATF. Keep it oiled afterward.