Misperceptions of narow gauge - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > Other Scales
Forgotten your password?

Other Scales TT, T, HOn3, Narrow Gauge

Old 01-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

According to the train odometer on XtrkCad, I have about 124 inches of track in which to climb as high as possible. Unfortunately that only gives me about 2.5" of rise at a 2% slope.

Ideally I want to use a 2-8-0 to haul about 10-15 empty hoppers up this slope, but most likely I'll have to gang a couple locos together. This line is going to be dual-gauge, and it's the standard gauge that will be hauling the long trains.
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
J.C.
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shdwdrgn View Post
According to the train odometer on XtrkCad, I have about 124 inches of track in which to climb as high as possible. Unfortunately that only gives me about 2.5" of rise at a 2% slope.

Ideally I want to use a 2-8-0 to haul about 10-15 empty hoppers up this slope, but most likely I'll have to gang a couple locos together. This line is going to be dual-gauge, and it's the standard gauge that will be hauling the long trains.
you could double the hill. if say the loco could handle 14 empties up the hill and the train had 26 the crew would split the train at 13 hoppers take them up the hill leave the rest of train on either main or siding taking rest up hill then leaving them on a siding back down the hill pick up the rest of the train go up then leave it on main back into siding pickup empties put train back together and go on there way. there was a series of story's in I think the railroader magazine in the 60' and 70's by a man who worker on the GRS in its hay day, the doubling was one of them. would make for interesting operation's.
J.C. is online now   Reply With Quote