Model Train Forum banner

Evolution of Swig's Layout - update

7K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  norgale 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks All..........big ed, that was one of the extra photos - a train that runs potash owned by DRGW/UP? I just missed it this camping trip - we were headed towards Moab and I saw a UP AC4400 pulling cars to fill at the mine.

if we waited another 20 minutes we would have seen it going through this

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks so much everyone - I AM HAVING A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Special thanks to tj :thumbsup:- I am a professional photographer (landscape mainly) and do have a photo web site. I don't feel right soliciting on this site, but hope everyone asks:laugh::D

New Video will be uploaded tonight - sorry for the delay - 30 cars around the big loop:eek:

P.S. my brother was scared you-know-what-less on the hike in the pic

#12 ·
I know Swig,

A great shot of the cut.:thumbsup:

I wonder what year they carved that out?

Can you imagine the dynamite and labor it took to do something like that back in the 1800's?

#21 ·
Thanks Brooklyn, the wife was born and raised in Manhattan, I myself am from Harrisburg, transplanted to Colorado.

Big Ed, sorry:eek:, here's an article on the mine. http://www.intrepidpotash.com/loc/moab.html

http://www.goldenstatephoto.com/travel/usa/moab

Check out this site ...just beeeeutifull.

Almost looks like your picture.

What RR ran those rails? Do you know?

Rock Formation Canyon Geology Badlands

A wiki on Moad,

n 1883 the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad main line was constructed across eastern Utah. The rail line did not pass through Moab, instead passing 40 miles away .

Read the whole article,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moab,_Utah

#15 ·
Looking at that cut through the rock I'm wondering how they bent the rails when they got to laying them down on the curv? I've never seen a bent railroad rail anywhere so how did they bend them?
Swiggy thats a super looking layout. Like the mountains too. I can see how you can be inspired by those pictures. Pete

#18 ·
Looking at that cut through the rock I'm wondering how they bent the rails when they got to laying them down on the curv? I've never seen a bent railroad rail anywhere ...
Really?!?

I say this naively, but I thought bent rails were used all over the place in curves? I'm not talking 90-deg bends or anything, but a gentle curve held in place with the rail dogs ... right ???

TJ

#16 ·
thanks Pete. yeah, the Moab area is surreal. and the drive there from denver.....surreal. two mountain passes, glenwood canyon, the colorado river, and then................... canyons with a 12k foot mountain range (La Sal Mountains) amidst the canyons. stunning and beautiful.

#19 ·
Yes there are all manner of curves on any railroad track but the rails that I've always seen are straight rails. They appear to be hauled to the construction site as straight rails but to make the curves they had to be bent. How was that accomplished?
I think that the mainline rails used all across the country weigh about 100 pounds per FOOT. Now I don't care how many men you have out there,you can't just spike one end and push the other end around and spike it to make a curved rail. That rail has to be bent by some means and the opposite rail has to be bent in the exact same radius to match the first rail. There has to be some machine that bends these rails ON SITE. Pete

#22 · (Edited)
I double posted the above post and since we are restricted in editing I can't delete this.:mad:

So...this one is now gone.:rolleyes:

I just hate to bother a mod.:eek:hwell:

#23 ·
Looks like the railroad knew what it was doing when it bypassed that place. Talk about prehistoric. I can't understand fighting the indians and dieing for such a remote place even if there was a place to cross the Colorado.
Very good pictures though and the arches are interesting. Also gives some ideas about making rock features on our layouts. And mild in the winter? That must mean 5 feet of snow instead of 10. Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.