Roundhouse HOn3 recommendations? - Page 4 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > Other Scales
Forgotten your password?

Other Scales TT, T, HOn3, Narrow Gauge

Old 06-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #31
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

I finally got around to drilling the holes through the boiler for the wires today. That was entertaining, the white metal really gums up the drill bit! Got it drilled for a pair of 30awg wires to fit through, now I just have to clean up the piece and get it painted.

Starting into unknown territory here... I picked up some model-quality paints for the air brush today and I'm going to make a go at the Russia Iron color. It looks like a good scheme is to paint the boiler jacket russian iron, then the front of the boiler and everything else in black. That leaves a good base to make the brass trim really pop out. Or so I hope...
Shdwdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #32
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

Well that's not going as expected... Tried working with the air brush today. The first thing I realized was that nothing was coming out. Tried pulling it apart and it was gummed up. Turns out the paint from the last time I messed with the air brush (last year) did not get cleaned out completely! I got everything apart and let it soak in alcohol for a few hours, seem to have to cleaned out and flowing well now. I put plain water in the jar to finish clearing it out and I get a nice even spray, but the output is pulsing. Erg! OK did some reading on that, and the most likely culprit is the nylon O-ring behind the head. Apparently this will compress over time...

Hmm I've had this air brush sitting in a box for, what, about 25 years now? Would that be enough time for the O-ring to compress?

Yeah ok, so I'll make another trip to the hobby store tomorrow and see if they carry replacement parts, otherwise I'll find some online.

In other news, expecting to be able to work immediately the first thing I did was combine my new paints, add some thinner, and shake it together to try and make the Russian iron color. In the jar it looks pretty decent, although I don't like the formula I was expecting to work with. That formula called for 1cc gunmetal, 2cc white, and a drop of blue. I have twice as much gunmetal as white, and it still looks too light. However I AM happy with my tint. I found a color simply called "blue green" and it seemed to just add that hint of color without being overpowering like some of the pictures I've seen. Once I get the new O-ring I'll spray a sample of what I have, see how it dries, and make adjustments from there, but many examples of what I've found for the Russian iron seem to indicate it was more on the dark side. And I'm not quite sure how to get the mirror finish it was supposed to have, I guess the best I can do is try to get a nice gloss finish -- although since I plan to weather it, the finish doesn't need to be quite so perfect.

I also got the new headlight glued to the boiler last night. I think my plan will be to simply paint the front of the boiler in black, then solder the leads to the LED and hand-paint the back side of the LED and the wires black. Sounds simple enough, but there's going to be a lot of masking and painting sections before I ever get to that LED...
Old 06-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #33
Shdwdrgn
Dispatcher

I got a chance to work with the air brush again today. Still some problems, but definitely making progress. I thinned the paint a little more as I know it should be close to milk, but still had some clogging issues. I did manage to get a crap plastic frame painted though, and I think the color came out very close to my goal, so I'm happy with that.

By itself, the color seems fairly silver-ish, so I placed some actual silver paint next to it so you can see the difference. Remember this is supposed to represent Russian iron, so it should have just a touch of blue or green tint to it (I went with the blue).

While mixing the colors, initially I thought it as too dark with the gunmetal, but adding white just seemed to wash it out instead of making the color richer. I ended up adding some plain silver, which with this brand is giving the paint a metal-flake quality. Overall it turned out to be a very interesting color carrying the depth of the gunmetal but the shine of silver. Add a gloss coat over the top and I think I'll have a model to be proud of. It's a real shame that I lost count of just how much of each paint I added, but I suspect I can reproduce it again. I may add another drop of white or silver to lighten it up one more shade, but really I think I'd still be happy with it exactly as it is.

I went through pages of Google images searching for other models to reference for my color. Most were way too solid of blue for my taste, but the one below stood out to me. There are no color photos available of what the locos actually looked like with the Russian iron jacket, but from reading it seems the theory is that the blue or green tint came from the high polish of the metal reflecting grass or sky. That's why I wanted to keep my color tint subtle and not overpower the paint scheme.

It's possible that because my paint bottle has sat for a couple weeks, there are some 'strings' of paint in the bottom that clogged the air brush. I think when I'm ready to paint my model I will strain the paint into a clean bottle and hopefully avoid that problem again.