Model Train Forum banner

Atlas HO Loco lighting issue with DCC

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  NIMT 
#1 ·
Hello
I'm getting started with DCC. I have two Atlas Kato locos that I've installed a Digitrax decoder in. I changed the loco addresses and they run fine, but I've got a problem with the light.
The Atlas locos had a plastic light board installed that the decoder replaced. It had a single light bulb in the middle. After looking at the info that came with the decoder, it looked like is a rear and two front light connections. There's one in the front and middle of the board. I soldered the bulb to the middle connections but I can't get the light to come one, on either loco. I just want to get up and running with DCC for now, LED lighting and such can come later.
What am I doing wrong?

See less See more
#5 ·
Yep you nailed it all the way around.
Another and better way to go about it is to leave the trace cut and put a resistor inline with each LED. And you Must put a resistor in line when you connect to the F1, F2, F3, F4 connections no matter what.;)

#6 ·
Thank you. worked perfectly. As a followup question, the 'headlight' turns off when the loco goes in reverse- directional headlight. There's supposed to be a way to turn the light on via Function 0 (F0) regardless of the direction of travel. I can't figure out how to do that.

#8 ·
This did not work, I can't get the light to come on using this decoder or a Digitrax DN135D. It's fine the way it is, LED's are the way to go soon. I have to warranty one of these DN135D's already. What kind of warranty comes with the Soundtraxx non-sound decoders?

I love DCC btw!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.