Model Train Forum banner

To: Dreadnought

744 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GNfan 
#1 ·
I read your post on the HO forum about your new-found attraction to early diesels. GOOD! Serves you right . . . because you've now got me interested in steam! For my next major purchase I was going to buy a Kato F40PH for my "excursion train", but now I've discovered SP&S 700, which still exists:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3716101

and Bachmann's n-scale GN 4-8-4 Northern with Vandy tender seems a "reasonable facsimile":

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-N-4-8-4-Northern-SF-p/bac-58154.htm

Now that, with my Great Domes, is a real excursion train! :smilie_daumenpos:

#3 ·

Welcome to the 'dark side'... literally.

Anyway, curse you for introducing me to the NW3 (and by extension the NW5), both beauts! It seems like Overland is the only people who made one, and, well..

The only trace of a price I can find (from Phillipino ebay) isn't looking promising! Time to get to kitbashin'..

#4 ·
Another passenger train

While looking at old pictures of GN steam, I wandered into the website of the Skykomish Historical Society. Skykomish, WA was the western end of the Cascade tunnel electrification. There, I discovered that in addition to the Empire Builder (which didn't stop), the Western Star and the Cascadian (both of which did), there was a fourth passenger train locally called "The Dinky" which left Skykomish for Seattle in the morning and returned in the evening. It was discontinued about the same time as the electrification in the late 1950's. My book says that GN had completely dieselized west of Havre, MT (except for the isolated Bend, OR to Bieber, CA line) by 1950; so in the mid-1950's the motive power had to be diesel. Probably they used a boring old F-unit, but it's another place an NW3 or NW5 might have been used. What did they run? . . . I'm afraid the answer may be lost to history. Having grown up in the general area; I'm guessing that it may have been primarily for GN employees living in Skykomish that needed to go to Everett or Seattle for something. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.