Model Train Forum banner

Trees and shrubs and layout scenery

5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  ontario mainline 
#1 ·
Does anyone know why Hong Kong seems to be the only place where we can get decent trees, or any trees at all for that matter? I bought some and they are great, but i cant handle the month to get them. Not to mention I don't like buying non-American. there must be a link somewhere for this stuff in USA

#6 · (Edited)
i KEEP LOOKING FOR BULK PRICING. i JUST CANT UNDERSTAND WHY EVERY TREE ON eBAY IS FROM CHINA
Are you a newcomer to global economics? It's simple. It's because the labor costs are dirt cheap in China. I feel the same way about the little painted people from Woodland Scenics. The prices are ridiculous compared to those that you can get from China, which is why I got mine from a China seller on Ebay (as referred to me by Big Ed).

You made the comment that the timberlinescernery trees are too expensive (wow - one tree for $8.95!, I agree) - well that's because labor costs in the USA are way, way more expensive than China. Why do you think TVs. cell phones, and all manner of every type of consumer good comes from China? It's too bad, but that's the way it is.

#7 · (Edited)
sorry, you did not mention price, just MADE IN THE U.S.A. I guess I'm lucky, Timberline sells at most of the train shows around here and I get their stuff for way less than their website.
I have to fully agree with xrunner...........way cheaper labor in china (sad stuff)

maybe contact timberline and see if they can sell in bulk at a better price, or maybe they have some older stuff for less? just a thought.

#9 ·
trees and shrubs

Hi: I am new to modelling, but have been picking up scenery items such as trees and shrubs at the dollar store, 5 or6 in pack for a buck. can find people in packs you have to paint sometime, same stuff you order from big guys made in china but a dollar. try the dollar store, general dollar stores, and watch hobby lobby and get the 40% off coupon can print from the web. Have bought some wood,glues paints on the cheap, also grass,look over in floral at hobby lobby bulk over their same stuff as in model section, but way cheaper!! just my 2 cents worht,i am on a budget too:D

#17 ·
Hi: I am new to modelling, but have been picking up scenery items such as trees and shrubs at the dollar store, 5 or6 in pack for a buck. can find people in packs you have to paint sometime, same stuff you order from big guys made in china but a dollar. try the dollar store, general dollar stores, and watch hobby lobby and get the 40% off coupon can print from the web. Have bought some wood,glues paints on the cheap, also grass,look over in floral at hobby lobby bulk over their same stuff as in model section, but way cheaper!! just my 2 cents worht,i am on a budget too:D
I would buy train stuff from Hobby Lobby... but the Hobby Lobby stores in Cincinnati have all but ceased to sell ANY type of train stuff anymore. You can still buy a full train set. They still have shrubbery type things as well, but the selection at the store near me is.... :thumbsdown: :lame:

#11 ·
No certainly not new to global economics or any other kind. I know why our American partners run to china, its to make money. But if we all ran to china instead of trying harder here, we would have nothing. It has a lot to do with greed, because there are still substantial numbers of American enterprises still here that want to stay American, even if it means making less. No, I merely waned to know if there was an American alternative on this product, but it doesn't look to easy.

#19 ·
I know why our American partners run to china, its to make money. But if we all ran to china instead of trying harder here, we would have nothing. It has a lot to do with greed.
Actually - it's completely market driven - you're a prime example. You want American made trees, but want them at the price of the Chinese ones.

Companies move production overseas to remain competitive in a global marketplace. There currently are very few restrictions on imports into the US, and as such, foreign companies can flood our market with cheap products made in China.

Unless consumers are willing to pay the premium for products made here (at more than $100/week labor costs), then the production MUST be overseas because no one is going to make a product at a financial loss.

I'm not trying to attack here, but I find it funny that people think production moves overseas just for more profits. It's simply not true, it's just that labor costs are one of the few variables that you can really control in the manufacture of a product (steel, plastic, oil etc are priced as global commodities and therefore have a fairly static cost structure regardless of country of origin) - which leaves you with labor and shipping as your competitive edge. You can fit a buttload of trees into a 40' sea container and those little trees are fairly labor intensive to make (at least the nice, realistic ones.)

#13 ·
Make your own!

Hey Bionics, If you want to save on the time and money...make your own trees. In the 2010 November issue of MRR there is a great article on the Art of Tree Making! Also if you go to the How To section of the forum you'll find the breakdown on Tree Making that I posted,with comments. I found that not only does it seem very gratifying and cost saving...it really adds to the layout in a big way! Check out some photos of the whole deal..its fun!:thumbsup:

Attachments

#14 ·
When I bought my son a HO set back in the 80's I bought some scenary stuff at the LHS. He had a box of twigs and stems and he welcomed you grabbing a handful as you bought the glue, ground foam etc. Glue on the twig then into a paper bag of foam, shake and instant tree he said.
I asked where he got the twigs and he said the compost heap at the local cemetary!:eek:
Made great trees though.:thumbsup:

#15 ·
I hear ya. I just bought a lot of 10 trees from Hong Kong on eBay for less than 5.00 (including shipping) just on a larf to see how good these trees can be. I would like to buy some from my local train shop, but they are way too expensive.

-J.

#16 ·
Yeah,k I dont mind making some things, like cliffs and mountains, but trees are too many and too much work. I guess Ill have to just order a couple thousand from china and go along with the crowd. I do have to admit, the ones they have are really good. I oughta start making highways and sell them myself. I ordered a 9 ft piece of highway and all it is was a piece of 15lb felt paper with lines painted on. and it cost my 11 bucks just to see what it was. Logs are easiest. Just big twigs and cut the ends with the bandsaw.

#20 ·
Not just in Cincinnati. Here in Oklahoma, the Hobby Lobby stores have phased out most of their train stuff. They used to have cars,engines, scenery and other things. Now, they might have a space of scenery about 6' wide. And for me, the closest hobby store is an hour away

#23 ·
The Hobby Lobby near me, had one N-Scale complete set and a complete HO scale set. I seriously contemplated buying the N-Scale set, parting it out and selling it but it would have been more work then it was worth....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.