Model Train Forum banner

Bowser VO-1000 with sound... Any good?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ggnlars 
#1 ·
I've never owned a Bowser diesel, and there's very sparce mention of them.
I just noticed the Bowser version of the Baldwin VO-1000 switcher, with sound, in Southern Pacific, black/orange, in one, two, and four stack configurations (vintage 1940).

My past impression (a decade ago) of Bowser rolling stock is that they weren't very well detailed, and lacked authenticity. Now however, they seem common within the online retailer inventory, and in photos they appear decent.

My question is...
How good (or bad) are Bowser locomotives, and what sound system do they employ?

I'm impressed that they offer the VO-1000 in one, two, and four stack configurations -- which is genuinely accurate, and important to it's authenticity.

Technology Electronic device

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a Bowser C630M with ESU loksound and loved it. It was in the Canadian Pacific with action red and the multimark symbol.

Lots of details and it ran/sounded amazing. The only thing I disliked was that the action red was a bit more pink than orange so it didn't match up with the other brands, but regardless I had planned to weather it down so I matched.

I ended up going with all 4 axle which is why I sold it, but if Bowser makes any other CP alcos I'll be jumping on them for sure. I am very happy with their locomotives.

#4 ·
The VO-1000 is a upgraded Stewart model. I have found the people at Bowser to be very accommodating to ensure they have a good model. They replaced the trucks and fuel tank on the first C636 release, because of some issues. The recent models have ESU sound, which is the best of 2016. If the Vo-1000 performs like the C636, then it will be an excellent performer, right up there with Atlas and Kato.
Larry
www.llxlcomotives.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.