Model Train Forum banner

What's been on your N workbench lately???

51K views 499 replies 53 participants last post by  Fifer 
#1 ·
I didn't see this thread here and thought it might be nice to look for all of the recent projects.

I'll start it off with a project I finally worked on this weekend.
A Con Cor Bi-Level Autorack.

I put a Curtis upgrade kit on it(Floor board)
MT Trucks and Couplers
Fox Valley Wheel Set
Plano Side door panels( a real lesson here)
The instructions ask you to drill holes for the panel pins which I decided not to do.
One side came out just as I would have wanted the otherside which I decided to cut out the entire panel didn't exactly come out as desired.
See for your self.
Next attempt I will remove just about the entire panel but leave a lip for the pins to go into after drilling.
But lesson learned.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny thread title ...

EVERYTHING is on my workbench. In fact, I'm hoping that there is, in fact, still a workbench under that pile, somewhere! It started with me delving into an HO layout back in December, then onto a Cub Scouts "space derby" and "pinewood derby" project with one of my boys, then I got the Lionel bug, ...

I keep thinking I'll clean up the workbench someday soon ... but the projects keep lining up too quickly. Help!!!

TJ

#4 ·
I'll have to find my camera somewhere before I can snap a pic of my workbench. But I fear that's it's buried in the pile of stuff on the workbench! Yikes!

In the interim ... here's a pic of the Shark space derby rocket (propeller thing on a string) that my older boy and I made a few weeks ago. Not too shabby!

Attachments

#14 ·
Hey, Rob----I quit smoking about 15 years ago. At the time I quit, I was working in a cigarette factory. Loose cigarettes were scattered everywhere, free ones in all break rooms. I was given a free pack going out the door every day, a free carton every other week and two free cartons every Christmas or July 4th. I know it's hard, but if I could quit in that environment, there's hope for you to give it up, too. We want you to be around for a long time---try to dig in and give it up?

#18 ·
N scale bridges

Well to all that follow my bridge building from Z scale to HO scale, here are a couple of N scale bridges that I have started working on. One is a Steel thru truss with deck girders on each end and the other is the Howe truss basis for a N scale covered bridge. They both have a long way to go yet. but it's a start and they may be interrupted with a HO logging railroad trestle in the future.:)

Cheers, Dave

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
New layout

Finally after 14 years I'm building a new layout. Real simple continuos loop layout with one turnout and a removable mountain. Got the track plan and inclines figured out and now I'm onto the mountain. Plan today is to make many many paper wads to flesh out the structure. Then start the search for plaster cloth, my cheesecloth and thinned drywall compound idea is a little hard to work with.

#20 ·
Style,

Neat! With apologies for my saying so, but I thought I was looking at a flopped wedding cake there for a moment!

I like the very compact layout theme. Do you plan to bury the lower trestle track in a tunnel, or will it be exposed?

Have you run a test train with some cars to make sure incline is OK?

Keep us posted!

TJ

#21 ·
HA! Too funny. The "Mountain/Flopped Cake" is being reworked totally. This is my first try at hard-shelling scenery. It is looking better now.

The small footprint is the main goal of this layout. I'm thinking where the tracks are in the over/under arrangement there will be a scratch built wooden trestle bridge type support system. The layout theme is a late 50's rural setting using a lot of the salvaged buildings from my old (destroyed) coffee table layout.

I've been running it with a crappy Bachman Plymouth engine with a few cars to test it. It does fine, so my Kato and Atlas stuff should work great. There won't be any long train setups with this small layout that's for sure.

Thanks for the interest, I'm having a blast getting back into my trains.

#22 ·
Style,

I like it ... I used a 1950's rural theme on my simple HO layout ... old Chevy's, a little town square, etc.

What's your table top dims?

Are you gonna build the whole thing on 2" of foam or something like that so that you can carve into the base foam a bit for contouring, a little stream, etc.?

Cheers,

TJ

#24 ·
N scale bridge

Well after being interrupted by a couple of HO bridge orders, I was finally able to finish the N scale truss & deck girder combo bridge.
For any N scale modelers interested, I will be posting it on EBAY this weekend

Cheers, Dave

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.