Model Train Forum banner

Green board question

998 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  CTValleyRR 
#1 ·
Did a search on this but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm planning on using green board as the base for my layout. I would like to know what to use to fasten down my track. Is the green
board dense enough to hold small nails, or is there a better way to
attach the track. Thanks for any help.

Bob

#2 ·
Many of us use an 'Elmer's' type glue, diluted, to attach tracks
to whatever is used as a baseboard. Use it sparingly. There
will be a time when you'll want to pull up the track. A broad
blade 'putty' knife is all it takes to remove it.

Nails could be used if you have a 'Homasote' type of
baseboard. You use a special tool or a long nose pliers
to push (never hammer) the nails in.

Don

#3 ·
Honestly, I don't have any experience using it (anywhere -- home remodeling or layout building) but I would be concerned about the weight and fragility. I would think nails would work loose over time in any kind of a drywall product. I know the ones in my walls do.

Adhesive latex caulk is a good choice for an adhesive. I like it better than nails, because you can fudge the position of the track and / or roadbed before it cures.

#13 ·
I'm using 2" rigid foam for base, and am using 1 to 1-1/2" sewing pins to hold my track down. So far nothing has worked loose...if it does I'll just pull the pin and reinsert it at a slightly different angle to bite into new foam. A dab of flat paint on the pin head to match the tie, and they're mostly unnoticed. This makes for easy picking up the track in the future.

#17 ·
Safe? I assume you mean safe for the green board, not for you.

Since it is a drywall product, any interior latex paint will work fine. So would any acrylic paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.