Model Train Forum banner

Looking for Information?

114K views 103 replies 26 participants last post by  gunrunnerjohn 
#1 · (Edited)
Reference Manuals are important. It's where I always start by reading the manual. So this thread will be my link support to information that is useful to you.

I would try amazon.com for book selections they have a wide range of use books and the inventory and prices change all the time.

I also suggest Woodland Scenics a good all scale supplier of accessories.

Here is a Lionel search on Amazon Unfortunately Lionel has other meanings than trains, but it works.:)

My first on line suggestion is the Basic 0/27 O manual. This is a copy of an ordinary manual that came out in the 50's with a Lionel set. It has a lot of beginner information. A good place to start. This is located Thor's site. This guy has an excellent site. You should look at his layout plans too.

Another is the model railroad electronics for the "do it yourself" enthusiast.

The 1956 Instruction Booklet searchable in pdf form. Submitted by Quietman

The nice thing is the Manual is printable.

The American Flyer Service Manual

Block Signal Wiring is discussed at The Toy Train Revue.

The best technical source on line is the Olsen Library (search other threads for copies)

The reference for postwar transformers

Also from GR John with Google talent Two Rail O Scale Primer

Teledoc has a four page cross reference manual for Lionel Interchangeable Parts from 1956.

Another important feature is the "SEARCH". In the past we may have answered or covered the same topics. They are still there to view. You have a general search, an advance search (that can narrow it down by author) and the tag search about a specific item. The tag search also has a suggestion feature to assist you.

This thread is by no means complete. I just use this as a starting point. It my personal preference.

In my Signature Link Page ( The link at the bottom of this post) is a number of topics discussed here in the forum. Most are with pictures. The topic list is long so bear with it. My picture list has gotten so long I went to photo bucket for ease of retrieval. So peruse the threads and post your inquiries.

I am adding this link on phasing post war transformers.
Also submitted by GR John. Thanks.

See less See more
#57 ·
From reading your other posts, own modern Lionel. Those diagrams are in the Lionel Supplements, over 45 of them. They have an index but no search feature. 1-9 is from the MPC era of 1969 to 1980, give or take a few. They are save able and printable too.

#59 ·
Hi guys
Wonder if anyone can help,in my Greenberg repair and operating Manuel it makes mention of the worm Gear well on a 736,681,671 etc. being filled with lubricant it makes no mention anywhere what to use in the well does anyone know ,I would guess 90 wt gear oil but that is a guess
Thanks
Chuck Singer

#60 ·
The best lube there is Lucas "red-n-tacky" grease. A thin film will do. Plain ordinary 10/5w-30/40 works for all other lube needs.

Carl

#62 ·
Grease is a form of lubricant.
Lube is lube it comes in many different forms.
The lube Lionel used way back then worked OK in the beginning, but as the years go on it got harder then cement causing all kinds of problems.

#63 ·
Thanks,
So if I understand this correctly they actually filled up that well with grease, makes sense I have seen them with that concrete like substance in the well, it did not make any sense to fill it with something like rear end 90wt,every time it went on its side it would be a mess ,so the best. Thing to do now is grease it up good
Thanks for the answer
Chuck

#67 ·
#68 ·
Big Ed, I just did the same, and the link doesn't work on my end.

I have Loco/Wheel info for Postwar on paper, but need to type it out in Excel, before I upload it.

#70 ·
GRJ, thanks for fixing the link. The main purpose of creating these list, is so people can find part numbers in one place, without constant searches. Not all dealers have all the parts, and only Olsen's has photos of a lot of their parts. Once you have a correct part number, just check your favorite supplier, and see if they have it. I know there is a post listing the most popular Parts dealers, which is also a bonus. Just like having the info at a few mouse clicks!!

#73 · (Edited)
"O" gauge PDF files combined

I want to get the recent posts about Lionel "O" gauge lists/charts, and associated articles combined into this one post, so that it is all in one place. Hopefully this will make it easier to check for information. Number 2 was the original listing, from an old issue of CTT magazine, that had a couple of mistakes/omissions, which I corrected with updated correct info in #5 of the lists below. Hope it makes it easier to find what you want.

1. View attachment Lionel Prewar Wheels & Axles O27 and O.pdf

2. View attachment Original Lionel Postwar tender.PDF

3. View attachment Prewar Tender Lists.pdf

4. View attachment Postwar car numbering scheme.pdf

5. View attachment Lionel-Postwar-Loco-Tender-Pairings.pdf

6. View attachment Lionel-Prewar-Loco-Tender-Pairings.pdf

#75 ·
Whistles for Prewar & Postwar information

Quite a few questions arise for information about getting Lionel whistles working properly, and how to wire them, maintain them, etc. Here is a link taken from Olsen Toy Train Parts explaining just about anything you need to know to get them working, and what to do.

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/searchcd31.htm?itm=1065

You can go to Olsen's website to look at it yourself, or you can just download this link, for your own use. It explains a lot.

#76 ·
here are some manuals on trains that I have collected
first up is Williams and then MTH hope this helps out

Attachments

#77 ·
here are some more the last post would not allow me to put anymore in

Attachments

#80 ·
I have a 70's version 8304 engine.
The rear truck has a curved end that slips into a lead looking piece attached to the rear of the motor. I can't seem to locate that piece that will keep the back wheels attached to the engine. Anyone know a number or where to find? It is not on the supplement Lionel document pages for the engine.
Thanks.

#82 ·
The plain 8040-15 will fit. (Just scroll up on the supplement page 3-11 on the supplement))Part is not available from Lionel. You will need to find a parts engine. If you modify the part and cut the wheels off it may fit your part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.