Model Train Forum banner

PRR rectifier

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ebtnut 
#1 ·
#6 ·
That's right. The PRR used E-44s which were similar but different details and horsepower. That's a really rare loco in HO. To my knowledge the only one who made them was Alco Models. Pretty sure they were brass and positive they are high dollar.
There is an E-44 on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, nicely restored. Don't know if any 33s are still around.

#7 ·
I only know of Aloc making these in brass and Lionel making them in plastic. Both are rare. I see the Lionel shells go for allot depending on condition. I have seen the shells placed on Athearn BB chassis as the Lionel HO parts are hard to get. I would get one but that price is beyond me at this point.

#8 · (Edited)
I only saw the Alco Models E44 HO model once on EBay. (Yes, they were brass). I don't remember the exact price but it was in the thousands. It was unpainted in original condition.
The classic rectifier loco for me is the NH EP5. Alco Models also made that. Have seen painted units go for 3-500. Still out of my range.
Was disappointed with Penn Line as a kid when they painted the GG1 in NH colors instead of making an EP5 for their passenger set.
Most of those old, exotic electric locos are available as brass models. That's why it's a good bet I'll never have any lol.
Nice layout photos, BTW. Thanks for posting pics.

#11 ·
E-33s were six axle locomotives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGN_EL-C

Obvioulsy, this thing has some attraction to get bid up to $100.00. Darned if I know what it is.

Far better "antiques" out there worth buying over this thing.
Varney die cast F3 and NW2s spring to mind, not to mention the whole host of Varney steam engines.

Regards,
GNNPNUT
I think the short answer to your question is yes. $100 because it has Lionel on it. We have already identified several problems with the model. PRR never owned one. It was indeed a 6 axle loco. I will add that if PRR did own it, they probably would not have used the Tuscan paint scheme.
Lionel followed the old sales adage "Sell the sizzle, not the steak." They were not selling an E-33, they were selling the representation or character of the locomotive.
I totally agree on Varney etc. being much better vintage items. I collect old PennLine and Bowser steamers myself. But even the classic PennLine GG1 is shorter than scale.

Bachmann Spectrum made an "anatomically correct" version of the E-33, but there is that allure of the Lionel model that, to some people, is just more fun.

#12 ·
Interesting "Rectifier" that was used. Involved Mercury vapor. Must have been a big selling point to convert the high voltage A/C into a DC usable by the traction motors. When I was taking Electrical Engineering in the 60's one of the lab's used big motors - it was the scariest lab of all. We had to have someone stationed at the main disconnect just in case one of the motors started to go to infinity. Lots of noise and heat being dissipated.

#13 ·
As for the high asking price, I'll just add this as a sidenote. Seems like there are always some models of locomotives that have a "super rare, collectible, high value, etc" cachet to them. Probably everyone knows of a few, and not always Lionel, that they have looked for and hit brick walls because either the seller has started the auction at an abnormally high price or the frenzied buyers have begun a bidding war on them.
Rivarossi KMs are in the category most of the time. These 'rectifiers' are another. Anything that had "Kato" in the title. Maybe sometimes it's warranted, to a degree...sometimes not....

#14 ·
Thanks, guys

I just spent a pleasant half-an-hour following the Wikipedia link posted by gnnpnut. I had no idea about mercury rectifiers. It's another reason I like this site - I keep learning about how trains and locomotives worked:)

#15 ·
"But even the classic Penn Line GG1 is shorter than scale"

Despite that, it was far more prototypical than the Tyco version yet, as you mentioned in an earlier post, they went forward with the non-existent NH paint scheme on a GG1. I wonder how many of those sets they sold.

To get back to the original post, the E33 is up to $131.00

#16 ·
Yes, I am familiar with the Tyco GG1. Not much prototypical there. But again, I'm sure there are people who love them. Probably many around whose first train set had one. No doubt they are still running somewhere.

I guess what it boils down to is that every hobbyist gets their joy from their pastime in a unique way.

As far as the Lionel unit goes, I will admit I had a chance to buy one a few years ago and passed it up. Someone on eBay had a slew of them in all the roads that Lionel offered. I think the PRR went for about 70 bucks. I couldn't get past the fact that it really wasn't a Pennsy unit. But that's just me.

Lots of interesting comments on this thread. The OP picked a great topic. You never know how these things will flow.
Lemonhawk, that's some scary stuff about the EE lab.
The New Haven had an EP5 rectifier that was infamous for catching fire. Lots of stories about those units.
Thanks all. Really appreciate this forum. I too learn a lot every time I come on.
Best regards,
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.