Model Train Forum banner

Thoughts...building with moving in mind...

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dr Bob 
#1 ·
There are litterally thousands of very detailed layouts in existence,most of them being basement empires of impressive dimensions.I envy their owners but at the same time I kind of worry for them thinking of what would happen to these marvels should their owners have to move.How many of them can be disassembled in portable sections to then be reassembled elsewhere?Not many I believe.

Seeing countless working hours being thrashed along with all the expenses that go with it sure isn't an interesting thought and it's with this in mind that I've started building my layout.I soon discovered that designing a layout that can survive moving is a lot more planning and work,not speaking of the added costs.

I don't own the place I live in and since renting prices go up like crazy here lately,added to the fact that my revenues will likely reduce in a couple of years from now,I'm faced with the likely obligation to move to a more remote area where rentals are more reasonable.Fortunately though,I don't need living in a big city to be happy.

Here are a few restrictions I have to deal with...
First is size.I have no way to know where I'll be in a while from now so I have to limit size to a normal decent room.I'm not using all the room I have available now but...

Second,the layout has to be built in modules that can go through a standard doorway and be light enough to be handled easily.This also means the electrical system can be disconnected between modules wich adds considerable building time and planning.I also had to design dowel pins to the modules to ensure track alignment upon reassembly.

The layout can't be tied to the building,it has to be free standing.The only link to the house being the AC wall plug.

I'd love to be able to build an empire but have to satisfy myself with smaller dreams....well,in a way,it's probably better.

See less See more
#4 ·
Fully modular layouts such as GRJ's club system are marvels
to behold. They represent a lot ofcreativity, hard work and expense.

But, I wonder if that is the way to go for the personal layout
of those who could expect to move once or twice.

A good many, (most?) home layouts are taken apart and
a new track design is built from time to time just because
the modeller wanted a change, had a better idea or
wanted to incorporate some new technology.

It seems to me that a good way to think would be to create
the actual wood support modules that are bolted together for easy
moving, each with it's own table top. Various sections of scenery
or possibly a yard could be removed mostly intact if on a foam
underlay. But the rest of the layout would
simply be disassembled and boxed for the move. After settling
in the new location the modules can be reassembled and perhaps
a whole new track design installed. This seems more in tune
with the way modellers think.

Don

#5 ·
Don, I actually misrepresented myself in the last post. I am not actually modular. What you mentioned is exactly what I am doing. I have numerous different sized table tops (benchwork) designed and bolted together. Items such as hills and mountains are created in a way for easy removal and placement. Track layout will probably stay the same as is now, with new additions via evolution. I have the track layout designed on my computers so placement is not forgotten. Wiring, etc is all easily accessible for disconnect as my benchwork is 41" off the ground. I have also created a nice access hole in the middle of the layout.

Lots of work to be done, but the hobby is quite rewarding.

#6 ·
I think that having the possibility of having to move in the back of your mind as you design your layout, it will limit your efforts and most likely leave you stranded at the plywood world level of completion.
I intend to stay in this house till the undertaker carries me out of here. The house is all paid off and I'm approaching retirement. I have told my daughter, it's her problem of what to do with the layout.

#7 ·
My own room size HO layout is built on a series of
wood modules, but it is not modular in that the foam
underlay overlaps the various module joints. Once foam,
the layout and scenery is removed, the modules could
be unbolted and removed from the room.

Don

#8 ·
You could try T Gauge. A simple oval-like setup can fit in a briefcase. But with that you could also cover much more with a single module. Unfortunately, if you plan on building a steam railway, you'll have to wait because there's no commercially available T Steamers yet. The custom built ones so far don't have connecting rods. Z could also be possible and it's steamers have connecting rods and are commercially available, but it's about double the size of T. But T is 3 mm rail gauge so you could build a massive railroad in a small space, someone on Youtube made a coffee table layout, so you should probably look in to T or Z.

#9 ·
With all the money I have tied to my roster,changing scale isn't an option.Anyway,I wouldn't go with a scale that is smaller than the one I have,N scale being the smallest I probably could handle at my age (63).

I'd like HO but then I couldn't have the operational possibilities I want with the size limitations I have imposed myself.However,I do have four very nice sound equipped HO locos that I run at the local club when I feel like going there.

The benchwork I'm working on will be a 90" X 93" donut made of four corner modules (2 are 45" x 45" and the other two are 45" X 48") that are joined with bolts and dowel pins for precision.I didn't want any duckunder,so I'm including a drop down hinged 19" wide access.I work with 1/2" and 3/8" plywood (glued most everywhere) and cut aviation style lightening holes where ever stress isn't an issue so the modules are basically frames for the foam to be glued on.Each module should be below 20 pounds before foam and scenery.

Then the modules are sitting on an assembled (bolted) angled iron U-shaped frame for quick disassembly,wich is supported with four convention table legs I scavenged years ago for this purpose.These are a bit heavy but still manageable even with my handicap.

The electrical is designed the same way,multiple wire connectors are installed at the junction of every two modules so it's a matter of minutes to separate them.

It is a time consuming construction indeed,but should I have (or want) to move,I could take it apart in less than two hours and likely reassemble it in less than four.The modules will also fit in our Dodge van,sitting flat two at the time on the cargo floor.

#10 ·
My first N scale started out as a 3.5 X 7 in a bedroom. After moving to a new house I added sections to make it 11 X 9 with a duck under in a spare bedroom. For reasons I won't go into I had to disassemble and move to the garage. After a year in the garage I disassembled again and moved to the basement. After several months in the basement I decided to expand to use more of the basement. Today the layout is 16 X 11 with two duck under sections. All still able to be unbolted and moved. However, at this stage of my life (age 72) , if I move it will be to someplace smaller, at which time I shall probably sell all my rolling stuff, disassemble the layout and take it to the dump. I will definitely miss the 30 car trains pulled by 3 to 5 diesels, but I will have had a good run.

#11 ·
Jake:

I am currently building a layout with moving in mind. I posted a thread on the benchwork design in "Layout Design" and the thread is titled "Sectional Layout Benchwork". There are lots of good suggestions in this thread.

My design is for a 10 X 11 ft around the room shelf layout which is 2 ft wide. I am currently building it in my garage to be moved to a spare bedroom once most of the track and wiring is in place. I am building an "L" section first which is the switching section of the layout. The benchwork is 4 or 5 ft sections that bolt together. The top is 1/2 inch plywood covered with 1 inch foam. The layout is flat with no elevation gain planned. A good resource for shelf layouts is Lance Menheim's (sp) site. The legs bolt on and since the sections will be along the wall, they do not require a lot of cross bracing.

I am still learning as I go, but it does require a lot of planning and extra work to make it movable.

Dr Bob ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.