Omaha Union Station - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Structures Forum
Forgotten your password?

Structures Forum Share your ideas and creations here, including your latest kitbash or scratch-built creation!

Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #11
trenes115
Hobo

Any suggestions on painting the Walthers Union Station? The one pictured is on a club layout and to me looks like "flat grey primer on plastic", at least up close. I was hoping to find something that might look a bit better. I don't know if there is a technique or paint that would give a slight amount of texture to the walls. I was thinking of doing mine in something closer to a sandstone color.

Added to the existing thread as there was some discussion of this Walthers model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000571.jpg (144.1 KB, 6 views)
trenes115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
CTValleyRR
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO
I personally think texture is easy to over exaggerate in the smaller scales. You can't see it with the naked eye.

That said, I do think the structure above looks unnatural. First of all, I think the gray is too dark. It doesn't look like a natural stone, and it's far too uniform. A sandstone or buff color would look much better. Then a wash of black to take the uniformity away. You can even add two different washes, a slightly lighter and slightly darker version of the base color, just to give the stone some variety. That and some streaking of dirt and rust would make it look better.

If you must add texture, one way is to paint a base coat, then sprinkle on a very fine powder, like baking soda or fine sand (talc is probably too fine, but might work, depending on your scale), while the paint is still wet. Let it dry, then paint another coat over the first. Some might recommend textured spray paints, but I think those would be too chunky.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
Deane Johnson
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO - U.P. & CB&Q
It's too dark by far. Looks like fresh poured concrete that hasn't dried.

Here's a link to a photo I shot back in 1965 on Kodachrome.

http://www.pbase.com/deanej/image/32659838
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote