Advanced Consisting and CV22 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
rickbz28
Hobo
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Constantine,MI 49042
Posts: 25
Scales Modeled: HO
Advanced Consisting and CV22

Trying to program my consists so the front light is illuminated on the lead unit when going forward and the rear light is illuminated on the trailing unit when travelling in reverse.CV22 should be set to 01 on the lead unit and to 02 on the trailing unit.But it doesn't work for me. One consist of two locos both have NCE decoders, One consist both have Atlas dual-mode factory decoders,and the third consist both have Digitrax decoders.All are non-sound.Have tried programming on the main and the programming track both with no success.Both front lights are on going forward and both rear lights are on going in reverse on all three consists.These are HO scale.Any ideas where I have gone astray?Thanks
rickbz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
DonR
Yard Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 6,546
I have the Bachmann EZ controller with no ability
to set individual CVs. However, I have 2 DCC
2 loco back to back consists where the lead loco headlight is on
going forward and the trailing loco headlight is on
backing. The trick is to set the headlights to on
going forward on both, then tell the trailing loco it is going forward when it actually is backing. See your decoder manual.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
rickbz28
Hobo
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Constantine,MI 49042
Posts: 25
Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
I have the Bachmann EZ controller with no ability
to set individual CVs. However, I have 2 DCC
2 loco back to back consists where the lead loco headlight is on
going forward and the trailing loco headlight is on
backing. The trick is to set the headlights to on
going forward on both, then tell the trailing loco it is going forward when it actually is backing. See your decoder manual.

Don
With that setup don't you have one light lit on each loco at the same time?The idea of CV22 programming is to only have one light on at a time.That would be only the front light on the lead unit going forward and the rearmost light on the back unit on going in reverse.If there is a third loco in the middle it would have all of its lights off at all times.
rickbz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
DonR
Yard Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 6,546
No. When the headlight of the lead loco in the consist
is gosing forward the headlight will be on. The headlight of the back-to-back trailing
loco will be on when the consist is backing. Unfortunately,
however, both lead loco and rear light of trailing
are on going forward, the rear loco
head light is on when backing but so is the back light
of the lead loco. My guess is there's a CV setting that
would turn off the lead back up or the trailing headlight.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
rickbz28
Hobo
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Constantine,MI 49042
Posts: 25
Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
No. When the headlight of the lead loco in the consist
is gosing forward the headlight will be on. The headlight of the back-to-back trailing
loco will be on when the consist is backing. Unfortunately,
however, both lead loco and rear light of trailing
are on going forward, the rear loco
head light is on when backing but so is the back light
of the lead loco. My guess is there's a CV setting that
would turn off the lead back up or the trailing headlight.

Don
Right.That's what CV22 is supposed to do.It allows you to program it so that only the front light works on the lead loco going forward and all other headlights are off on both locos.When going in reverse only the rearmost headlight is on on the trailing unit and all other headlights are off.That is my problem.When CV22 is programmed to a value of 1 on the lead unit and 2 on the trailing unit I still get the result of one headlight on on each unit at all times.
rickbz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
CTValleyRR
Yard Master
 
CTValleyRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: East Haddam, CT
Posts: 5,085
Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbz28 View Post
Right.That's what CV22 is supposed to do.It allows you to program it so that only the front light works on the lead loco going forward and all other headlights are off on both locos.When going in reverse only the rearmost headlight is on on the trailing unit and all other headlights are off.That is my problem.When CV22 is programmed to a value of 1 on the lead unit and 2 on the trailing unit I still get the result of one headlight on on each unit at all times.
Try flipping the "forward" and "reverse" directions on the rear loco, so that "forward" is in same direction as the desired headlight setting, and set both light values to "1".
__________________
Connecticut Valley Railroad -- A Branch of the New York, New Haven, And Hartford

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
rickbz28
Hobo
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Constantine,MI 49042
Posts: 25
Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Try flipping the "forward" and "reverse" directions on the rear loco, so that "forward" is in same direction as the desired headlight setting, and set both light values to "1".
That was one of my first attempts to solve the problem without any success.Did a decoder reset today on both NCE equipped locos and started all over again with the same results as before.Concentrating on getting these straightened out first and will worry about the Atlas equipped consist and the Digitrax consist later.Watched the video for this on MRVP and all Dana did was program CV22 to 1 on the lead and to 2 on the trailing and it worked correctly for him.Have a call in to Tony"s Train Xchange to see what their suggestions are.
rickbz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
JerryH
Engineer
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 791
Scales Modeled: HO
Images: 31
The difference may be in weather the actual consisting is done in the decoders or in the command system. It appears that you are doing it in the decoders. Some systems can handle consisting in different ways to make things easier, different, or for some special feature.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #9
rickbz28
Hobo
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Constantine,MI 49042
Posts: 25
Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The difference may be in weather the actual consisting is done in the decoders or in the command system. It appears that you are doing it in the decoders. Some systems can handle consisting in different ways to make things easier, different, or for some special feature.
Yes the consisting is being done in the decoders themselves.I can turn the lights on and off in consist but they don't seem to want to take the CV22 programming like they should.
rickbz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #10
JerryH
Engineer
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 791
Scales Modeled: HO
Images: 31
Can you read back CV22 or are you trusting it to be set while programming?
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


» Visit These Sites:
LGB World

Or Our European Train Website ModelRailForum




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.