Complete newbie - need help finding train sets - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Beginner Q & A
Forgotten your password?

Beginner Q & A If you're new to model trains, stop in here!

Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
Thlorian
Hobo

Complete newbie - need help finding train sets

Hello....looking for a train set that has the appearance of the 1950-60s. So far I do not see them listed like this in online catalogs so perhaps I am missing something here? Would I have to purchase a vintage set actually made back in the 1950s-60s? That does not make sense though. looking for n scale please...

Also, could a steam locomotive be used in a 1950s era track layout?
Thlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
Lemonhawk
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Yes, I rode on a passenger train in regular service around 1952.
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
NAJ
Conductor

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index...oducts_id=4838

Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
highvoltage
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O, O27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlorian View Post
...Also, could a steam locomotive be used in a 1950s era track layout?
Yes, found this online from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieselisation

Quote:
Steam engines lasted well into the late 1950s on major American railroads
highvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
Lehigh74
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O
You kind of have to know what you are looking for and/or do research for specifics. You generally won’t find train sets listed on line by dates that they operated. You can do a sort on eBay by date, but I don’t know if I would rely on it.

The SF GP40 and F sets you already have would be appropriate for the 50s and 60s.

For diesels, the following could be found in the 50s and 60s:
EMD GP40 (made 1965-1971), SD45 (made 1965-1971) or earlier GP, SDs, E9 or earlier, F9 or earlier
GE U33B (made 1967-1970), U33C (made 1968-1975) or earlier
Alco, Baldwin, FM all ceased production before 1970 so any would be appropriate.

For steamers, pretty much any would be appropriate for your time period, but you would be less likely to see a 4-4-0 or 2-8-0 and more likely to see a 4-6-2 or 4-8-4.

You also need to know which railroad operated a particular engine during the time period. For example, a GP30 painted for Reading would be appropriate, but a GP30 painted for Reading and Northern would not.
Lehigh74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Thlorian
Hobo

WOW! Super fast reply's and very informative - loving this site!!! Thank you!!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
DonR
Yard Master

The 50s/60s diesel locomotive that many would
remember is the EMD F series. Many dieselized passenger
trains of that era had an FA FB FA consist at the
lead of the train. I would guess that most of us
on the Forum have at least one. I have two FAs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&ul_noapp=true

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
CTValleyRR
Station Master

My advice is: your layout, your rules. If you want to run a steam locomotive, by all means do so. Why let something as simple as reality suck the fun out of the hobby.

My own layout models a branch line of the New York, New Haven and Hartford (New Haven or NH for short), the remains of which are now a tourist road near my home where I volunteer. For a variety of reasons, I am modeling summer, 1956. But here's the rub -- the last NH steamer was decommissioned in 1953, AND by that time the branch line ran only two slow freights a week, much less traffic than I wanted to simulate.

Enter Revisionist History: The hurricane of 1955 caused so much damage (in my alternate universe) to the Shore Line that major sections of it were closed, and large numbers of locomotives were out of service for repairs. The NH was forced to route traffic over the Valley Line, and reactivated some steam to help with the shortfall. The increased service brought back several industries which had switched to truck transport (plus one that used barges historically; but darn it, I wanted to model it). This gave me the setting, types of locos, volume of traffic, and number of industries I wanted, while still being a believable version of reality.

Not saying you have to be that detailed, but certainly if you get the rolling stock right within a decade or so, my personal opinion is that you should run what pleases you.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
santafealltheway
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: h/o
Send a message via Yahoo to santafealltheway
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
My advice is: your layout, your rules. If you want to run a steam locomotive, by all means do so. Why let something as simple as reality suck the fun out of the hobby.
^ yup.

~Jim
santafealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Thlorian
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post

My own layout models a branch line of the New York, New Haven and Hartford (New Haven or NH for short), the remains of which are now a tourist road near my home where I volunteer. For a variety of reasons, I am modeling summer, 1956. But here's the rub -- the last NH steamer was decommissioned in 1953, AND by that time the branch line ran only two slow freights a week, much less traffic than I wanted to simulate.

Enter Revisionist History: The hurricane of 1955 caused so much damage (in my alternate universe) to the Shore Line that major sections of it were closed, and large numbers of locomotives were out of service for repairs. The NH was forced to route traffic over the Valley Line, and reactivated some steam to help with the shortfall. The increased service brought back several industries which had switched to truck transport (plus one that used barges historically; but darn it, I wanted to model it). This gave me the setting, types of locos, volume of traffic, and number of industries I wanted, while still being a believable version of reality.

Not saying you have to be that detailed, but certainly if you get the rolling stock right within a decade or so, my personal opinion is that you should run what pleases you.
Sounds great, thanks! Would love to have a steamer as the smoke would be cool!!! But I have a LONG way to go before that as I don't even know what some of the abbreviations/names are in some of the reply's above! But keep them coming please as I will be asking lots of questions and hopefully in a few months, return the favor by helping newbies who log in here!

I did visit my local Train Shop over lunch break today and picked up a catalog called Walters 2017 something-something. Was told this is a great item to go through to learn what's out there! So with the monster size of this catalog, I'll be going through it for a while!