Second time might be the charm - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 01-10-2017, 07:20 AM   #11
Jimganley
Brakeman

Warren,
From where I took the photograph on my right is a door also at the wall in question has a window and from my previous layout it is very difficult to reach across the table to open the window, this time I left an aisle so I can get to the window.
Jimganley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #12
santafealltheway
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: h/o
Send a message via Yahoo to santafealltheway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimganley View Post
Great thank you for the info, today I had to try out my woodland 2% riser incline decline and I am not sure if I like it and I will admit it takes up a lot of track, also appears to be a major job to hide it. The set takes up one half of the track on the outside, I bought it right so I am not out much any opinions?
Hiding the inclines shouldnt be too hard, A bunch of crinkled up news paper and a 20$ amazon roll of plaster cloth should do it.

I chose NOT to include any inclines in my layout and kind of wish i did.

Hindsight, you know...

~Jim
santafealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #13
wvgca
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's mountain logging "Squirrel Creek"
Inclines are a nice effect, and can be intersting, but are added time and effort .. perhaps around 10 - 15% of my layout is at "zero" level ..some up maybe ten inches?? haven't checked recently

Old 01-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
CTValleyRR
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO
It's really not hard to hide the inclines. You just work them into your terrain. Foam panel chunks covered with plaster or sculptamold, or balled up newspapers, cardboard web, window screen covered with plaster cloth or papier mache, and probably some others I didn't mention will all do that. Paint in an appropriate soil color; add turf, undergrowth, and trees if desired.

You can also just get wall cards or textures off the Internet and glue them to the sides, which will hide the risers without the need to create landscape (although it will look artificial).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
time warp
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: Old School HO and British OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimganley View Post
It did cross my mind but I can get at the wall that is mudded the other wall that runs N-S is going to get a graphic that will be placed on a false wall and slid in between the table and wall, I left a 1/4" gap for this. I was going to post a graphic of my layout but I cannot get the dimensions to transfer that SCARM puts in automatic. Ideas also how does a person run a two track main and keep decent spacing on the curves
Here is the drawing

Had you thought about pushing the track closest to the inside back towards the outer track? That would open up some really nice space towards the inside of the tablework for switching and scenery. I also would strongly suggest a long passing siding, you'll never regret it.
time warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #16
Jimganley
Brakeman

Still trying to come up with something that will look pleasant and still be fun so I thought I would run this by you folks and see what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3492.jpg (64.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3493.jpg (79.8 KB, 3 views)
Jimganley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #17
time warp
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: Old School HO and British OO
Getting there! Looking good!
time warp is offline   Reply With Quote