Amherst Railroad Hobby Show - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Train Shows, Events
Forgotten your password?

Train Shows, Events Tell us about upcoming train show events in your neck of the woods.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
CTValleyRR
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Amherst Railroad Hobby Show

Can't believe no one is talking about this.

January 28th and 29th this year -- I'll be there both days.

Anyone else going?

http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/index.php

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by CTValleyRR; 01-11-2017 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Add URL
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
Spence
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O
There was a post on this subject a while back on the "O" Gauge Forum.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
CTValleyRR
Station Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
There was a post on this subject a while back on the "O" Gauge Forum.
Unfortunately, I don't visit there much. I'm an HO guy.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw

Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
I will be going Saturday. It will be my second visit. Can;t wait for the Charles RO tables

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
FTWingRiders
Hobo

My wife and I are going Sunday. Never been.. just getting the train fever. Lol. Not sure where to start at the show, heard there's 4 buildings! Looking forward to it!
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
CTValleyRR
Station Master

My son and I will be there both days. We usually hit the show when it opens and browse until we're hungty and footsore, then go back to the hotel and relax. Day 2, we pick up where we left off and see the rest.

I personally don't spend a lot of time at booths representing retail stores... i'd just as soon go to the store. I spend my time looking at the layouts, checking out new releases at manufacturers, and sometimes pick up a clinic or two. I will browse through the amazing details and structure kits at Bollinger Edgerly Scale Trains (BEST) and Tichy Train Group. Nice folks at both places.

I always stop and say "Hi" to Tom at Tom's Trains (my local store) though, and to my friends at the Valley Railroad (in the Better Living Center this year), and artist Steve Cryan, one of my inspirations whose wife had the misfortune to have all three of my boys in her second grade class. I'm also going to have a chat with Joe Fugate, editor and publisher of Model Railroad Hobbyist. I have an idea for an article I'd like to bounce off of him.

Should be a great time.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
CTValleyRR
Station Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWingRiders View Post
My wife and I are going Sunday. Never been.. just getting the train fever. Lol. Not sure where to start at the show, heard there's 4 buildings! Looking forward to it!
4 BIG buildings -- like over 8 acres of floor space. You're brain will start yammering for help about 30 seconds in. Have your wife hold on to your wallet. That might save you from needing a second mortgage by the time you leave. And you'll probably find you have trouble seeing it all in one day.

It's hard to say where to begin. By design, it's all mixed up. The Better Living Center is the biggest, but by far the most chaotic. Some folks think that all the good vendors are there, but i disagree.

It's a good place to compare all the different brands of DCC systems. All the big players will be there, and they will gladly let you try the systems.

I always have a list of the exhibitors i want to visit, and mark where they are on the map (you can download both the list and map at the website). If you just want to browse, then just go sequentially. If you park on the East side, start in the Mallory complex (make a point to see the New England Lego Users Group -- always just totally awesome), then the Stroh and Young buildings, and finish with the BLC . If you park on the West, do Young, Stroh, and Mallory, then finish in the BLC.

You're in for a treat. Hopefully, your wife will forgive you.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #8
FTWingRiders
Hobo

Thanks for the advice!! We're looking forward to it.. I'm sure there will be a lot we miss. I was thinking I could quickly pass the the larger retailers and look for the unique offerings. The kicker is, I'm not sure what direction I want to head with my layout.. so it's all going to tempt me! Luckily, or unluckily, my wife will probably get caught up in it all with me!! LOL!
I'm sure I wont be coming home totally empty handed!!
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
I went yesterday and found some projects . The nice weather helped. Tired myself just searching for stuff. I did find The Lionel sound of steam tender with the whistle.

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
CTValleyRR
Station Master

Spent 4 hrs there on Saturday and 3 today. Back gave out about then (it's odd that on an old geezer like me with plantar fascitis and bad knees, it's always the back that goes first).

Had a great chat with Joe Fugate of MRH (check out the magazine at www.model-railroad-hobbyist.com), got some tools I've wanted, and picked up a lot of good ideas and inspiration. My son added 3 peices of rolling stock tk his collection.

Hopefully FTWingriders survived his baptism of fire...