I really really really need help!!! - Page 5 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #41
Spence
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O
Self driving cars! Isn't this what a chauffer is for?
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #42
Old_Hobo
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little N & O)
If it is about helping get old people back on the road, we're doing it for the wrong reason.....just as the very young cannot legally drive, the very old should not be able to legally drive either.....luckily, they'll be dead soon enough.....IMHO.....
Old 01-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #43
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Hobo View Post
If it is about helping get old people back on the road, we're doing it for the wrong reason.....just as the very young cannot legally drive, the very old should not be able to legally drive either.....luckily, they'll be dead soon enough.....IMHO.....
Hey! I resemble that remark!!

BTW...did you mean "they" or "we"?
Fire21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #44
Old_Hobo
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO (also a little N & O)
Either/or.....no one gets out alive anyway.....
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #45
Lehigh74
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O
The current (Jan 9) edition of Autoweek has a number of articles on autonomous cars.
Lehigh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #46
GansettII
Gang Labourer

Every vehicle I've had since 1976 has had cruise control. I dislike it immensely. I never use it and that includes the nmany on stop runs to Fla. I've made. Feeling the gas pedal move away from my foot....nah

Now I'm going to be driven around in a car using a operating system that can crash?? Again nah...
GansettII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #47
thedoc
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
I sometimes use cruse control, I find that the car gets better gas mileage with it on. Some systems are better than others, on my truck, when I engage the cruse control the speed hardly changes no matter what, but on my wife's car hills make a big difference in the speed. We also figured out that to get up our drive in the winter, we turn the traction control off, otherwise when the tires spin from loosing traction, the power shuts off and we can't make it up the hill. An automatic driving system would have to be very good to get up our drive in the winter.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #48
Chet
Engineer

I will use cruise control when ever I can. As stated in the previous post, you will usually get better gas mileage. One of my cars is a 2005 Buick LeSabre with the 3800 V=6. During the summer I can usually average between 29 to 30 mpg in every day driving. I wo live in a more rural area and don't have much in the way of traffic lights to put up with. On a recent trip from Montana to Reno, NV there were a couple of stretches where I exceeded 34 mpg cruising at the 75 mpg speed limit.

In the winter, I do put winter tires on and will probably lose 1 to 2 mpg and I will NEVER think of using cruise control on snow covered raods.

I would never feel comfortable in a self driving car on snowy or ice covered roads. Many people don't have a clue how to drive in those conditions. Would you want to trust a computer?
Chet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #49
thedoc
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
I would never feel comfortable in a self driving car on snowy or ice covered roads. Many people don't have a clue how to drive in those conditions. Would you want to trust a computer?
Most people, by choice, don't have much experience driving on snow covered and Ice covered roads. I have seen too many drivers in slippery conditions, that when the tires start to spin, they just give it more gas, and that is usually the wrong thing to do. There are times when more gas, and digging your way will work, but usually the best thing is to give it less gas, and finesse your way out of trouble. The other problem is that too few dealers, in my area, sell actual snow tires, and they used to be very common, about 40 or 50 years ago. Now most people just get all-season tires, and think they are good to go. My take on it is that it won't hurt the tire to drive it on snow or ice, but you won't get very far.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #50
Chet
Engineer

The winter tires they have available today are a world of difference to the old snow tires. They have a softer rubber compound that can really improve they ability to drive in the snow and even somewhat on ice. One year I ended up trying to use all season tires in the winter because they were brand new and I had worn out my Blizzak tires the winter before. Bad idea. Between the softer rubber compound and the aggressive tread, I won't go without them in the winter.

I usually leave the reaction control on as it does make starting from a stop more manageable. But if you are stuck, the traction control won't let the tires spin (using the ABS system) and has to be turned off to get a car rocking to get moving.

We have long winters up here.
Chet is online now   Reply With Quote