Model Train Forum banner

BNSF SD40-2 1:16 in Lego Bricks

8K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Shadowplayer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I live in The Netherlands but always had a passion for American locomotives and trucks, and not so much the European ones. As a hobby I build scale models from Lego, sometimes as commision jobs for companies, sometimes just for the fun of it.

I had never build a train out of bricks but decided to do so a few months ago, as it was a big wish of mine. I chose scale 1:16, as that fitted with other things I have build, and opted for the BNSF EMD SD40-2 in the Heritage color scheme.
During the proces I got many pictures from enthusiasts to make it as detailled as possible. The locomotive is highly detailled on the inside and the outside. It has cabin interior and all the electronics and 16 cylinder engine is modeled as well.

I got a lot of response on it, but have not shared it so far in a trainenthusiast community. It's probably the first train you'll see on this scale in Lego, and I am curious what you think of it.

Just some facts:

Building time: 4 months and a lot of creative headaches
Length: 1.31 meters
Weight: 20 kg / approx 20000 bricks
Scale: 1:16

Hope you like it.

See less See more
#7 ·
Thnx all, I am glad you like it. I have many mor epictures but at the moment I am working on a book with an American Publisher about realistic Lego scale models. This train will be featured in there as well.

The train is almost a 100% Lego. The railings could have been Lego as well, but those rigid hoses are quite expensive. I made them from plastic welding rod. The only other non- Lego thing are the wheels. They simply don't exist and I CNC turned them according to the 40'' wheel geometry.

I have a picture while shooting the pictures, there you can judge the size a bit:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.