Model Train Forum banner

Collector's Weekly story - 'Model Trains are Quaint'

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Waddy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
While reading the article I was struck by one quote:

I passed 60 a few years ago, but even when I was a little kid, I thought Lionel trains were totally dorky.”
That was from a Mr. Paul Saffo, who chairs the Future Studies and Forecasting track at Singularity University.

Singularity University? Okay, more digging. From their website:

Our mission is to educate, inspire, and empower leaders to apply exponential technologies to address humanity's grand challenges.
I guess playing with trains doesn't inspire him. Oh well.

#4 ·
Technology

As long as one of "humanity's grand challenges" is to move food, fuels, minerals, etc. from where they are produced to where they are needed; there will be railroads. And as long as there are railroads there will be model railroaders and railfans:)

#6 ·
He's just jealous because we actually do stuff with outpr trains, rather than just stacking them up in a display case like pathetic trophies.

#7 ·
I must be having a strange day of some kind. I am agreeing with everybody.
I do NOT consider myself to be a collector but understand that
the nature of our sport leads to a certain amount of collecting.
I like tank cars so of course at least 10% of my rolling stock is tank cars. When anyone finds out that I have trains they ask questions
about my "collection". I don't think most people understand that many of us actually "play" with our trains. I think many won't admit that we have train rooms and layouts. On the other hand, there may be a lot more collectors than I know about.
I wonder what the writer of the article would have said if it was about model cars or airplanes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.