Model Train Forum banner

Lionel LW transformer questions

21K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  servoguy 
#1 ·
Hey, all, I've found wiring diagrams, but not an operating manual. What are all the extra posts for? How can I make the whistle work? Do I wire up another lockon to two more posts? Finally, can anyone suggest a good repair shop (for both a transformer and an engine) in the Houston area?

#3 ·
With the LW, the "U" (variable) post should connect to your center rail, and "A" (common) post to an outer rail, via the Lockon for your variable train-running voltage. Your whistle should activate through that same track connection when pushing the button. The extra terminals (B and C posts) on the LW are for fixed 14 volt and 18 volt outputs for running lights and accessories.. Those should never be connected to the track.

#8 ·
Pete,

Good post. I wonder if that doc (and ones like it) are available online for other old-school transformers? I don't think the "operating instructions" are in the Olsen's library, though perhaps someone will correct me on this.

Thanks,

TJ

For future Search hits:

Lionel LW Transformer Instruction Sheet
Lionel LW Transformer Operating Instructions
Lionel LW Transformer User Manual

#11 · (Edited)
There is a page in one of the Lionel insructions that covers the terminals, It may be in the blue service manual too.

For keeping documents public try a google document account.

Olsen has it under transformer. The first one listed under postwar transformer. page 6 So that is one place to find it.

#13 ·
Yeah, T ... I know that Olsens (and the Greenbergs book, for that matter) have tech info on various transformer pinouts, but (as far as I know), neither of these sources have the more basic "operating instructions" for each transformer, with the LW sheets posted by Texas Pete above being an example of those.

I thought maybe Ed (or you, T) had posted a "operating instructions" like those for various transformers, but I couldn't find it.

Ed ... you out there? ...

TJ

#14 ·
this is and old thread but hopefully it will get a response. I have a similar issue with my LW transformer. I wired post 1 to the U terminal and Post 2 to the A terminal and my old 675 runs and the whistle blows but my new Polar express will run but the Whistle would not sound until I switched. So obviously the Polarity on the Polar express is critical to getting the Whistle to blow. My question is.... the whistle button in the LW is finicky. You have to push it juuuussst right to get either whistle to blow. Is this a feature of the LW or is something needed to correct this. Also the Lockon I have is old and rattles around on the rails. Will this cause loss of voltage or amperage or whatever and impede the speed etc. of the train? the guy I go to for fixing says that as long as there is some contact its no big deal. He also says just be careful pushing the button. I'm thinking of going back to the old separate whistle and decoupler box I use to have before I got the LW many, many long years ago. Thanks

#16 ·
Post-war transformers have a "two-stage" whistle control. The first step sends out a fairly large DC offset, then further movement of the control adds a shunt resistor across the rectifier to reduce the DC but provide additional power for old post-war whistle tenders to operate without slowing down the locomotive. For modern electronic horns, the triggering is pretty touchy.

There are modifications to the transformer whistle circuit that will give it more reliability, or you can simply add an external whistle/bell box. There are several threads in the forum about building your own that will provide both whistle and bell.

#19 ·
ha, I'm not all that great at identifying everything there but I know an electrician who may be able to tell me whats all in that box. Thanks, oh, one other thing. the lockon I'm using, am I right in assuming that a lockon that shakes and rattles and slides loosely is not a good connection? I think it should be fairly tight, right?

Thanks again.

Roland

#20 ·
Well, the only "mystery" parts would be the diodes, for maximum compatibility with all environments, 6A 100 volt silicon diodes would be good. The switches need only to be SPST-NO pushbuttons. The binding posts can be whatever you like to make the connections through the box.

#21 ·
Roland,

The loose lockon is indeed a bad connection, and will cause intermittent power to the track. The loose connections will also get hot. A slight twist with a pair of pliers will tighten them up like new. Make sure the lockon is clean and corrosion free before installing it.

Larry

#24 ·
I put crimp terminals on the wires that connect to the transformers and switches. I snug the nut with my fingers and then tighten it by turning the terminal. This eliminates the possibility of twisting off the terminal stud and yet gets the nut tight enough it doesn't work loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.