Williams GG-1 Conversion to TMCC w/cruise control - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
gunrunnerjohn
Wizard

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Yep, the interesting part is, that one has already exited the picture. It, for some reason, would derail it's pilots on O36 Fastrack, even though it ran fine on O31 tubular track. I finally got tired of trying to make it run and pulled the electronics out and put back a simple electronic reverse board and sold it. Those electronics made their way into another locomotive.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
Fighterpilot
Conductor

Well, I now know who to ask for advise if and when I decide to convert my Williams GP-9 to TMCC. You know your stuff, GRJ. I did add a sound system to the GP-9 Williams dummy diesel (lots of room in there) from MRC. It's ok at best.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
gunrunnerjohn
Wizard

The GP-9 should be a piece of cake to convert, I've done several Williams conversions. I most recently converted a Reading F-7 A-A to MTH PS/2. I have another Reading set that I'm going to do in TMCC so I can run on either system.

For absolute sound quality, Lionel Legacy is still the best, but it's not available for upgrades.

For retrofit command, I have to give the edge to MTH PS/2 conversions, the RailSounds 4 is not quite the quality of the MTH. I keep hoping Lionel will make the RailSounds 5.0 stuff available for sale, I'd love to pick up a couple of sound sets in RS5.

Make sure you're happy with the operation on the layout in conventional first, I ended up taking the command out of that GG-1 because it couldn't handle Fastrack O-36 curves.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
sjm9911
Hobo For Life

Scales Modeled: O
Grj , nice job. ( from what little I did understand) . This stuff is way beyond me!
sjm9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
Fighterpilot
Conductor

Thanks GRJ, all my locomotives are now Legacy except for a Williams Warbonnet Sante Fe Dash 9 and a Western Maryland GP-9 and matching dummy. These locomotives will traverse my entire layout without any problems so it's a matter of making up my mind if I want to spend the money on the conversion and if I want to give it a try. I'll keep one of them in conventional transformer mode to pull my track cleaner car around the layout. The little GP-9 works great for that.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
gunrunnerjohn
Wizard

Actually, pulling the track cleaner around with cruise control is great, you can just set it to work and watch it, no throttle jockeying required.