Model Train Forum banner

good cheap starter dcc system

22K views 82 replies 20 participants last post by  CTValleyRR 
#1 ·
I plan on running no more then 4 locos probably more like 2, but want the option to run more then 2 if need be.

I understand i probably will be paying close to 200, im hoping for what i need to control.

They have so many options for dcc, it makes it tough to pick which dcc unit to go with.

I realized i want sound on my locos and all the sound effects to make my layout come alive.

Im looking to buy like a starter set that has everything i will need to get me running trains, i dont want to buy a dcc unit then have to get this and that to make it all run.

What would you guys suggest to get my feet wet and have a enjoyable experience, cost isnt everything to me as long as i can buy everything i would need in one package.

Thank you again, im sure this topic may have been covered before but i tried the search button and really didnt get a good answer.

Again i dont have a basement empire probably along the lines of say 12x12 maybe a tad bigger layout planned.

See less See more
#2 ·
My Humble Opinion

They have so many options for dcc, it makes it tough to pick which dcc unit to go with.

What would you guys suggest to get my feet wet and have a enjoyable experience, cost isnt everything to me as long as i can buy everything i would need in one package.
IMHO....the Digitrax Zepher for a starter. The control panel alone is very intuitive. I don't know anything about NCE so I can't give you an opinion there however......

whatever system you go with, you'll need to have decoders installed in your locomotives. (Prices range from $20 to $40) If you don't have much electronics experience, better to pay your local hobby shop to install them.:confused:

#3 ·
If you are planning a 12x12 I would stay away from the starter sets. From what I recall you posting in treads, you are running n scale? A 12x12 is large, that is a lot of track in scale miles :D I would look into a 5 amp system. Once you get your system and discover how easy it is to run a consist of engines you can easily be powering 6 to 8 engines. Two trains with 3/4 engines pulling :thumbsup: Then on a layout that size you'll want some of your turnouts powered through your system, this is when you start eating up your amperage.
Just encase you are doing HO with sound. 4 engines would be maxing a starter set.

#6 ·
If you are planning a 12x12 I would stay away from the starter sets.
I was also looking at his upper price limit. Zephyr fits that for sure but I DO agree that one of the other systems would be better. The nice thing about Zephyr or the others is that they could later be used as boosters for a larger system. (Like I'm doing with my original Empire Builder).

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
To be honest price isnt holding me back. If i gotta spend more then 200 to achieve a great system then so be it.

I just dont see how or why i should spend say 400 on a good dcc system that has the ability to do anything and everything if i wont even come close to running the max out of a system.

Id rather spend less and get a system a little smaller geared to my layout potential.

Do i have the wrong thought pattern here? I just want something i wont regret dwn the road, or say to myself,s**t i should have bought that other one.

#12 ·
You'll need to buy a second throttle.

I have the Zephyr and added the UT2 (now UT4) as a walk around throttle. This system works fine powering 3 sound locos and 2 non-sound while running any two.

If I need to expand then it is easy to add a booster. Then there are all the other accessories to further expand the system like:
Auto-reversing module for track reverse loops, wyes and turn tables.
Protecting power districts
Transponding (a very advanced feature for me)
Computer interface for decoder programing etc
Stationary decoders for turn-outs and almost anything else (good use of computer control).

And there are makers of other equipment that can be used such as:
reversing modules
power district protection
turn-out motor controller (switch machine, solenoid or RC servo)
Powered frog control

In general, do start with a system that can be expanded and has full capability. This is very important if you are going to get sound equiped locos. The 'cheap' starter sets are not capable of programming and controlling all features of a sound decoder.

Do go through all the threads in these forums on starting out with DCC (use the search feature). Since this is a commonly asked question it has been answered and discussed many times.

#13 ·
I have the zephyr extra and have no major complaints. Truthfully the only two reasons I bought was it, over the NEC, it allows read backs and it was not a handheld unit that my son would drop. On that note, lol, you can add 2 smooth dial controllers. I just use my kato dc packs. Granted you have no control of lights and other functions but it works on the cheap.
Just make sure you take in all considerations, and get a system that meets your amperage needs. From what you stated here, it seems the zephyr extra is more then suitable for what you are looking to do. Just make sure you order the extra (DCS-51) and not the old (DCS-50)

#14 ·
I like the NCE Power cab as a starter set, this is what I purchased and have not regretted it. I too wanted something to start with then as my hobby grows so does my operating system. With the NCE starter set you could run approx 3-4 Locos with DCC and when you grow you could also add a booster to take you to a 5 amp which would operate many Locos. You do not to upgrade the handheld as it is comparable with the upgrade, it actually is the same handheld as in there Pro Cab except for the name. The price I payed was $170 tax in on boxing day but they are 200 anyway. It is fully expandable, you could throw your money into other things and as you grow....upgrade. I love the throttle, it is modern and nice to hold and you could add another throttle if you desire.

This is IMHO and good luck with your selection.

Tim

#15 ·
Yes ive been stuck deciding on which one was best suited for me the nce power cab or the digitrax zephyr/xtra. Both seem to be what im after with a price im happy about paying.

What is the main difference between the two if there is one? Does one kit not come with something im going to need to run my trains? or do they both basically come ready to run?

#16 ·
Yes ive been stuck deciding on which one was best suited for me the nce power cab or the digitrax zephyr/xtra. Both seem to be what im after with a price im happy about paying.
joed.....if you have them in your area, you may want to contact a local Model RR club in your area. Its likely they are running one system or the other and you may be able to stop in and see how they run for that particular club. :D

#17 ·
Yess I agree with the local hobby store and if not then you could even YouTube them both they have pretty good walk thoughts on both these units. I can't speak for the digitrax unit as I don't own one. But I did try it out at my local hobby store before I bought my NCE and I chose the NCE because it is totally expandable (as im sure they both are)with a modern touch to it. You also have to take in to consideration where else would you be running your trains, because if you plan to run a a friends house or a certain club, what are they running, to make it easier for you to just plug in and go. For me, it's just me so I went with what I was comfortable holding in my hand and one with no restrictions so that's how I chose. It is a snap to set up, no more then 15 min and away you go. It has everything you need in the box to get you running trains. Really user friendly and easy to use.

Again in my opinion.

Chose what you like and what you will be comfortable with, it's all about you and what keeps you having fun.

#18 ·
No clubs for me where i live. So i will be running in my basement. The power cab does seem nice. I will have to check out youtube.

I thought both digitrax and nce power cab were expandable?

Why is the power cab cheaper in price? Is digitrax like paying for the name like harley davidson or would i be getting more with the digitrax.

#19 ·
They are both expandable and if you upgrade either one to a more advanced DCC system both the PowerCab and the Zephyr become throttles. The main difference is the Powercab is hand held and the Zephyr is stationary. I can say that the Digitrax throttles and other accessories are all compatable with the Zephyr command station so you can expand to wireless and keep the zephyr around maybe for your yard controller.

Massey

#20 ·
Both the Digitrax and NCE are fully expandable.
And price wise they are neck in neck.
When you compare them compare apples to apples.
The NCE Power cab is along the lines as the Digitrax Zephyr Extra.
And the NCE Pro cab is along the lines of the Digitrax Super chief.
I personally have all Digitrax. I like their technology lines of there thinking.
There are a lot of pieces of the DCC puzzle that Digitrax offer built around their system.
I like the smaller handheld controllers, they are lighter and just seam to work better for me.
When you talk about system add-ons most follow or are compatible with the Digitrax system.:cool:

#24 ·
A few others known smooth dials that work.
I used 2 Atlas trainman controllers from their starter sets, they work just fine. Now I use the Kato simply because the brake feature works with them and they came with sets too.This is with the Zephyr.

#25 ·
I think im sold on the digitrax then. Thats fine if i gota get something like a mrc tech 2. Unless a xtra nce power cab throttle is about the same price as a mrc tech 2 then i have issues.

I cant go wrong going with the digitrax ztra versus the nce power cab exta, its almost 40 dollars cheaper...

Keep in mind i dont have a club near me where they juat us this brand or that brand
Im getting to use it for my home setup.

#26 ·
Just a side note...it is a good thing to have a good quality DC controller on hand even for DCC users.I have a Tech 4 that I keep for "breaking in" or test DC locos before I install a decoder.I also keep the original boards so that I can retrofit a loco to DC,should I suspect a faulty decoder.

#27 ·
Im sold on the zephyr, reason being it allows me to plug in a dc controller for my son or second person.

Its also 30 bucks cheaper:)

I do like the way the power cab looks and feels, seems newer.

question: how much would a dcc throttle set me back if i went with the power cab since it doesnt allow for dc controller hookup?

Im not sure if i should let not being able to hook up a dc controller to the power cab make my decision?? is this silly of me to think this way, or should i suck it up and buy a dcc throttle for power cab if i went with this.

#31 ·
Ok i have a droid razr so how would that work. U just turned me off the pro cab. Damn
With either version of the NCE and with the Digitrax Systems you add a PR3 computer interface to make operations with your smart phone or your computer possible.:cool:
What should be added to this is that you need an interface program, like JMRI (its free). Then apps like "Engine Driver" will work.

#30 ·
Pro Cab is the bigger version of the two systems, Pro cab you can add throttles to. Power cab is just a smaller stand alone version.
With either version of the NCE and with the Digitrax Systems you add a PR3 computer interface to make operations with your smart phone or your computer possible.:cool: