Model Train Forum banner

New to Z scale, observations.

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ftauss 
#1 ·
First of all these trains are a thing of beauty. The Marklin American Christmas set runs like a Swiss watch.

To borrow a phrase from a movie "they build them good in Germany, eh Heinie?"

My cat likes knocking them over but I think it's revenge for chasing him with the O gauge stufd.

Having looked at track the main choices seem to be Rokuhan and MTL for roadbed track. Rokuhan definitely has more choices though the feeder wire looks like it leaves a little bit to be desired on appearance but it's better than the terminal track on the MTL and Marklin. And that any straight can be a terminal is nice. And the choice of modern concrete ties and classic wood ties and differing radius curves is nice. And the curved switches.

This looks to be fun.
Frank

#2 ·
More answers

If you bought 81846 from a dealer in the USA, you should have a country of manufacture sticker on the box. It is made in Hungary. Still a very nice item.

The Rokuhan A008 feeder is a solid connection. I also suggest the Atlas 2092 wired joiner feeders if you don't want to use the Rokuhan feeder. That is compatible with Rokuhan track, but you have to remove the roadbed joiner to make it work.

CAT? Yikes. Get a fine-tipped tweezers and get ready to pick out cat hairs from your wheels.

YES! z scale is VERY fun, and I say that objectively.

Frank Daniels
owner - z.scale.hobo

#3 ·
A few Marklin 81846 set questions

ftauss and z.scale.hobo, Just purchased that Marklin #81846 on Friday and awaiting it's arrival.
Am wondering what is recommended maintenance for engine as far as oiling, etc. Does it come already oiled from the factory or dry, without lubrication, the way the majority of O gauge engines are shipped? Does the 81846 set need oiling before running?
Is there also a specific break in routine that should be used when this set is run for the first time?
Do wheels on the engine tender and rolling stock need to be oiled like O and HO tenders and rolling stock do?
:confused:
Btw, ftauss, are you aware Marklin has a matching companion add on set of two cars (boxcar and caboose) for the 81846 that's scheduled for a December 2017?
:thumbsup:

#4 ·
ftauss and z.scale.hobo, Just purchased that Marklin #81846 on Friday and awaiting it's arrival.
Am wondering what is recommended maintenance for engine as far as oiling, etc. Does it come already oiled from the factory or dry, without lubrication, the way the majority of O gauge engines are shipped? Does the 81846 set need oiling before running?
Is there also a specific break in routine that should be used when this set is run for the first time?
Do wheels on the engine tender and rolling stock need to be oiled like O and HO tenders and rolling stock do?
:confused:
Btw, ftauss, are you aware Marklin has a matching companion add on set of two cars (boxcar and caboose) for the 81846 that's scheduled for a December 2017?
:thumbsup:
What a fun set to get started into z scale ... this is your first foray?

The insert that comes with the set will answer the questions, but in the interim ...
* Do not add oil upon receipt, even if it does not run! (If it doesn't run, contact your dealer)
* They say to oil after 20 hours of run time in the manual
* Marklin suggests using their 7149 oil, but Labelle 108 or Atlas 192 Conductalube are my preferred oils as they tend to pick up much less dirt. Use a needle dropper and use 1/4 to 1/2 drops!!!! Do not do as the diagram says showing FULL DROPS into each point. You need a very fine needle, let the drop start to exit the tip, then back it into the dropper THEN apply to the point. If you flow too much oil, you are going to provide a nifty collection point for dirt and gunk to slow your locomotive. Do not over oil!
* No need to oil rolling stock

Break in:
Just run it forwards and reverse a few times and hopefully your dealer has tested it first. Usually after a few laps on a starter oval and you are good to go.

If you're sticking with Marklin tracks, be sure to crush each joiner down onto the sides of the rails, otherwise you're going to get stalling locomotive issues on sections that are poorly joined.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Frank Daniels
z.scale.hobo
Marklin Z dealer and repair
www.zscalehobo.com

#5 ·
Yes, Frank (z.scale.hobo) this is my first experience with z gauge having collected and run most other gauges (N, HO, S, O, and G). Z's tiny size is both a technical marvel and work of art. My Marklin 81846 set arrived last week and looking forward to running it. Btw, thanks for answering my questions as my set didn't include that booklet you mentioned.
I see you have a store and am wondering if you'll be stocking Marklin's #82302 Christmas Add On Car set for my 81846 set. It's scheduled for a Dec. 2017 release, so are you currently taking pre-orders for it? If yes, what's that involve and would I be guaranteed to receive 82302 when it's released? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.