Omaha Union Station - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Structures Forum
Forgotten your password?

Structures Forum Share your ideas and creations here, including your latest kitbash or scratch-built creation!

Old 11-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
CBirnley
Hobo

Omaha Union Station

My grandfather loaded mail for UP at this facility. I would like to model it on my HO scale layout. I have been unable to locate a model that even closely resembles the structure. Please advise as to how I can build a model of the station.
CBirnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBirnley View Post
My grandfather loaded mail for UP at this facility. I would like to model it on my HO scale layout. I have been unable to locate a model that even closely resembles the structure. Please advise as to how I can build a model of the station.
How good are you?

You could use styrene to make a model.
By the looks of the station it will take a lot of work.
I would think it could be made out of balsa wood too, still a lot of work.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
DonR
Yard Master

Here are pictures of the Omaha Union Station.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001

It's mostly nice straight lines would at least be easier to
model than were it festooned with various Victorian or
other classic stylings.

The many pictures would be a big guide for anyone going
the scratch build route.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
4G-Man
Brakeman

root'n around.... this is pretty cool to me because my wife's grandfather was the one who painted this. Her dad would go with him (his dad) in the summers. Many of the places his dad (grandpa) would stay was in rooms above bar rooms. Her dad, a youth, now 80, would wonder down into the bars while grandpa was out painting (buildings, bridges, whatever needed painted) he'd wonder down and the guys drinking took a liking to the little fella. Many of them pretty salty in pool taught him to play. Dad got pretty salty also, salty enough to become semi-pro; played guys like Minnesota Fats and others. Although he never went big time on the pool deal, he made more playing pool than his and moms jobs (both pretty good) combined. Not shabby for back in them days. He was even on TV a couple of times.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #5
J.C.
Conductor

you would have to do a lot of selective compression to fit into a small layout, a starting point for the front section I believe could be a walthers bank building.
J.C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
CTValleyRR
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Well, given that the thread is over a year old and the OP hasn't been on since Feb 2016, this may be a waste, but for the benefit of anyone else who may ask a similar question, here goes:

Any time you say, "I want to model this exact building, or something very close to it", it's long odds against finding a commercial kit. You're heading off into the realm of at least kitbashing, and most likely scratchbuilding. As Big Ed implied, not something to be undertaken lightly by the novice modeler.

You might be able to find architectural drawings of the structure, which would help you in preparing plans for your model (giving accurate measurements), otherwise, you have to guestimate from photos -- assume a man is 6' high, or a car is 12' long, or whatever.

To kitbash, start with something similar (Walthers Union Station might be a good place for this particular one), and make changes as necessary. Focus on the details that stand out, like the ornamentation over the windows, because it's the little details that will make people say, "Oh, that's Omaha Union Station", even if some of the coarser details / measurements are inexact.

Scratchbuilding can be done using styrene or wood. Find a commercial window product that is similar, and consider using either Walthers or DPM modular pieces to develop the basic structure. Even if you decide to scratchbuild, consider selective compression, especially for a huge building like this, unless you can really afford the space. Consider modeling just the platforms and representing the station by either a flat or a photo on a backdrop.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
4G-Man
Brakeman

Ya, I noticed the post was old, I was just root'n around, but just found it still interesting to me. And figured there may be a possibility someone else may be interested in building it and if not, it can fade away again.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:01 AM   #8
Cycleops
Station Master

What a beautiful Art Deco building. The interior is stunning. Looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to replicate, either with plastic card or foam cored board. You could reduce the size and still have a reasonable representation. Here's a great site when sourcing all building parts: http://www.textures.com
Cycleops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:24 AM   #9
1905dave
Gang Labourer

The pictures in the link were generally 3 different buildings. The smaller station with the tower is the first Omaha Union station (roughly 1880's to 1920's), the big white one was the current art deco Union Station (now the Durham Museum) and the third station with the columns is the CB&Q station (now a TV station) that has been offered as a kit by Walthers.
1905dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
CTValleyRR
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1905dave View Post
The pictures in the link were generally 3 different buildings. The smaller station with the tower is the first Omaha Union station (roughly 1880's to 1920's), the big white one was the current art deco Union Station (now the Durham Museum) and the third station with the columns is the CB&Q station (now a TV station) that has been offered as a kit by Walthers.
So, in other words, the first decision that has to be made is WHICH station you want to model...

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote