Minimum Turn Radius for USA Trains GP7/9 G-Scale - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > G / #1 Scale
Forgotten your password?

G / #1 Scale Marklin, Aristocraft, USA Trains, LGB model train discussion, indoor and outdoor.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
dchartier
Hobo

Minimum Turn Radius for USA Trains GP7/9 G-Scale

My lucky son is getting a USA Trains GP7/9 G-scale for his birthday. The brochure says that the engine requires turns with at least a 2.5' radius. That seems mighty small for such a big train. My big HO engines sometimes have trouble on turns that tight! In your experience, what is the minimum turn radius for that kind of engine, both from a functional perspective and in terms of looks?

I'd also appreciate a recommendation for brands and types of track. If you have different recommendations for indoor and outdoor use, I'd appreciate hearing both.
dchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
sirfoldalot
Hobo

You have a very lucky son! I would say it would work on a five foot circle. Little larger would be more comfortable and certainly look better.

I am not much use on track recommendations. I just bought some brass Aristro? five foot radius for my Christmas set.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
dchartier
Hobo

Thanks, Dave! I probably go with at least 3' radius then just to make things look better. I never like seeing the front of the engine hanging halfway over the track on turns! :-)
dchartier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
Gramps
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO then G back to HO
For some reason G scale gives curved track by diameter instead of radius so be aware when buying. I had Aristocraft brass track outside for many years with no problems but many in the hobby prefer stainless due to less maintenance.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
jaody
Hobo

I have used Lgb track exclusive for 13 years on my out door railroad. I run track power with very few problems. All track joiners are assembled with electrical contact grease. Most problems were caused by deer stepping on it. I would highly recommend it in the 16000 or 18000 radius.
jaody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
jaody
Hobo

I have used LGB 16000 and 18000 track outside for the last 13 years with no problems except for where the deer step on it
Old 07-10-2016, 12:03 AM   #7
jaody
Hobo

I got rid of all of the 12000 ( 5'dia) And 15000 (7'dia. ) track because of clearance problems with long cars.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:05 AM   #8
jaody
Hobo

I got rid of all of the 12000 ( 5'dia.) And 15000 (7'dia.) track because of clearance problems with long cars.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #9
jaody
Hobo

Sorry still new at this!
Old 08-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
NMTrains
Hobo

Go as big as your area can handle

I started my layout, thinking that I'd never need anything bigger that a 5' radius. Then the 2-8-8-2 Mallet appeared in my collection. Then the long passenger cars showed up.

For both esthetics and operation, my layout has a minimum of 8' radius and I changed out all the turnouts to the largest available.

The old rule of thumb. go as big as your situation allows.
NMTrains is offline   Reply With Quote