Another train store closes... - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Model Trains in the News
Forgotten your password?

Model Trains in the News See what the mainstream media is saying about our great hobby!

Old 08-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
Another train store closes...

https://596317.content.nlgrid.com/wf...l4ZlE9PQ%3D%3D
Fire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
NAJ
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
That is a shame but it happens to all of us and all of the things we grew up with.

As I have gotten older I think about the numerous stores I enjoyed and shopped at through the years and have good nostalgic memories of and then realize that they are all gone and I feel sad.
NAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:46 AM   #3
Cycleops
Station Master

The fact is the Internet has changed the way we shop.
Cycleops is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
GNfan
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: N
West How we shop today

One of the things I've found from my last foray into model railroading in the late 1980's is a box of almost 30-year old issues of Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman. Sometimes I look at the ads and wonder if the companies are still in business. One of them I saw (an ad for craftsman-level HO boxcar kits) had a list of "Authorized Dealers". Hmmmm . "MB Klein, Baltimore, MD". Which reminds me, my latest order from modeltrainstuff.com should be here soon
Old 08-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
santafealltheway
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: h/o
Send a message via Yahoo to santafealltheway
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ View Post
That is a shame but it happens to all of us and all of the things we grew up with.

As I have gotten older I think about the numerous stores I enjoyed and shopped at through the years and have good nostalgic memories of and then realize that they are all gone and I feel sad.
Yeah, like radio shack sure, it's still here but... damn. it's just "Cellphone Shack" now.
santafealltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
Chip
Engineer

Yea, Cy already nailed it, the interweb has really changed the landscape for shopping. Too easy to let your fingers do the walking and the Brown Truck do the hauling nowadays. Even when there IS a store it has NO stock worth mentioning, or very little and you cant get "everything" you need. I tried to "go local" and all I could find was cork roadbed, no loco's EXTREMELY limited selection of rolling stock and a few packs of joiners was ALL they had. In the ENTIRE city! Sad.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
MikeB
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Yea, Cy already nailed it, the interweb has really changed the landscape for shopping. Too easy to let your fingers do the walking and the Brown Truck do the hauling nowadays. Even when there IS a store it has NO stock worth mentioning, or very little and you cant get "everything" you need. I tried to "go local" and all I could find was cork roadbed, no loco's EXTREMELY limited selection of rolling stock and a few packs of joiners was ALL they had. In the ENTIRE city! Sad.
That's the way it is where I live also. I do miss the one store we had years and years ago. A place where you can ask questions, actually hold/look at a product before making a purchase. Today, I have to ask questions on a place like here and wait for a response. Digest the responses, make an intelligent decision and hope I made the right one I'm the type of person that would buy from a local shop that takes their time with a customer instead of the Internet.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
RonthePirate
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, gave the g scale to the grandkids
Yeah, Radioshack. You hit it, SantaFe. Try to buy any radio parts there now.
"We'll have to order that for you, sir".
Duh.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
MacDaddy55
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: "Ho" all the way And Christmas "O" "O' "O"!!
Thumbs up Engine House Services Green Bay!

We are so fortunate to have Engine House Services in Green Bay, which is a 40 minute drive away for me, that is thriving and has expanded in the last year. Caboose Hobbies has been around longer than I have and that's been a tremendous run through all sorts of financial ups & downs...retirement comes for all of us and I wish the Millers all the best as the family has spread a lot of joy to hundreds of customers!!
MacDaddy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
NAJ
Engineer

I have a hobby store 10 minutes from me but the prices are outrageous so I only used them when I was building the layout if I needed a couple pieces of track or needed to fix some landscaping, etc.
http://www.aaahobbiesandcrafts.com/

There is another All Train Store about 45 minutes away and I have not been there yet, one of my Grandson's keeps asking me if we can go and we will around the holidays.
http://www.etrains.net/
NAJ is offline   Reply With Quote