Huge Model Railroad Magazine Collection - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Multimedia > Model Train Print Media
Forgotten your password?

Model Train Print Media Discuss magazine articles and features.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
steam chaser
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O, HO, S,
Huge Model Railroad Magazine Collection

I recently was given a huge collection of model train magazines and books and they are all in excellent condition. They are Model Railroader,Railroad Model Craftsman,Carstens publications,Kalmbach,A thick book from the NMRA of specs,tips and prototype info.The magazines are full sets (50s) in hard back binders from the 50s,60s,70s,80s,There are some from 30s,and 40s,as well.My question is this,while being in great shape conditionally speaking,some have a musty mildewy smell,there is no mildew on the books at all,just the smell.These was given to me by a lady whose husband clearly had a great love of trains all of his life. He became ill and was unable to continue his passion.Now for the hard part,I would like to keep these books for my railroad library and I wouldn't want to do anything to dishonor her husbands memory or offend her for an amazing gesture on her part,But I am wandering are these books safe to keep, with smell,should they be trashed ,should I keep them.I don't know for sure if the smell will ever come out.I guess that I am asking ,What would you all do if you were in my situation. Thanks for the help in advance.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
USA

I have a large collection of old magazines too. Some have a small smell.
I don't think the smell will hurt you unless there is toxic mold on them.

I would suggest before trying the following recommendations is to sit them out in the sunlight first to really dry them out, it would not hurt to run a fan on them while they are baking in the sun, then try the following.

(A copy & paste)

Northeast Document Conservation Center

There is no guaranteed way to remove the musty smell from old books, but there is a strategy that may be successful. This musty smell is most often noted in books that have been moldy or mildewed in the past. The first step is to create an enclosed chamber. This is most easily done by using two garbage cans, one large (with a lid) and one small. The object to be "deodorized" should be placed in the smaller can, which is then placed inside the larger can. Some type of odor-absorbing material should then be placed in the bottom of the larger can. Odor-absorbing materials to try include baking soda, charcoal briquettes (without lighter fluid), or kitty litter. The lid should then be placed on the larger can, and the chamber should be left for some time. You will need to monitor periodically to see how long the materials need to be left inside the chamber.

some other Home remedies:

I just sprinkled baking soda in between several pages and set (opened) in the sun on our porch for a few days, smells just fine now. This is a book that sat in my mom's basement for 40 years!

I use a cotton ball with one drop of citronella essential oil and one drop of eucalyptus essential oil then I place the book and cotton ball in a zip bag and let set for a few days.
-------------------------------------------------

In a large paper bag put a layer of Charcoal (not quick light) then, lay two sheets of typing paper, then the book, fold over top wait 5 days before opening.

Edit,
Read about it some more on another site?
http://www.ehow.com/how_5553683_mild...magazines.html

Central Railroad of New Jersey

Last edited by Big Ed; 05-27-2012 at 10:32 AM..
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
I've had good luck with a box of baking soda. I had a fireproof safe that had been in a basement for years, that's how I removed it's mildew smell.
gunrunnerjohn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
USA

Don't do what I am doing. I guess I got to figure out a new way to store them. Though mine don't really smell. And my basement is dry. I found this too, it seems like baking soda is the way to go.

(Copy & paste)

All it takes is a little dampness and paper can become infected with mildew. So it's advisable not to store books in cardboard boxes in a damp basement or garage. Mold grows and continues to grow inside the pages of books. If a musty book is placed on the book shelf, other books will become infected. If a book is found to be musty, it's best to take immediate action to prevent further damage.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
RichardAJensen
Hobo

Anybody ever tried using an ozone machine for something like this?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
kix662003
Engineer

Scales Modeled: S and HO
John's right. Now I keep my paperwork for my Erector set in a big plastic freezer baggie with Baking Soda inside the bag. It has worked well.
kix662003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Well Steam Chaser must have forgot he started this thread?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Nuttin But Flyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S, HO
I'll tell you one thing, baking soda is cheap to get, so that's where I would start.
TCA #12-67705
Nuttin But Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote