Do you think Model Railroader is worth the money? - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Multimedia > Model Train Print Media
Forgotten your password?

Model Train Print Media Discuss magazine articles and features.

View Poll Results: Do you think Model Railroader is worth the money?
Yes, I get both Print and Digital editions 1 5.00%
Yes, but I only get Print editions 6 30.00%
Yes, but I only get Digital editions 1 5.00%
Maybe, but I am considering not renewing 2 10.00%
Not any more, there are plenty of other places to find similar content online 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #21
CTValleyRR
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfl68 View Post
The digital version is pretty much identical to the print version.
Content wise, they are identical. However, you can jump directly to articles by clicking on the headline on the cover, and there is a page of on-line extras, which links to various pieces of content on their website.

A digital-only subscription, though, costs a few dollars less than print-only, at least the last time I renewed it did.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #22
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
I just got the renewal notice from MRR. Even at their special rates, for the price of a one-year subscription ($42.95, and they claim I'm saving $28.93 off the cover price) I could buy a couple turnouts or some rolling stock. A two-year subscription is $67.95 (save $75.81), and a three-year is $94.95 (save $120.69)!! That kind of money will buy a locomotive!

Of course, I'm letting my subscription lapse. I've gotten more info here on the MRF than I ever got from the last three years of MRR. And this forum is free as well as having friendly real life people to converse with. Thanks to all of you for being here!!
Fire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #23
Cycleops
Dispatcher

I think you can always make those types of comparisons Fire. With that money I could buy ten yards of flextrack, so many freight cars, five decoders etc. But the real point is it useful, entertaining and do you enjoy it. I do, that's why I buy it, anyway, if you don't there's little point in taking it. I guess its a personal thing.
Cycleops is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #24
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
Of course you're right, Cyclops, it's whatever gives us the most enjoyment and benefit. Personally, I don't have enough money to afford renewing and buying a few model products. I do enjoy the magazine, beautiful pictures and some good how-to articles, but in my case, it's just not worth it. I appreciate your comments, and hope you continue to enjoy the magazine.
Fire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #25
A&NRR
Brakeman

I've been a subscriber since 1982, I hate to say that when this year runs out I won't be renewing. I could buy a lot with what they're charging for just one year. I'm not paying for a magazine that's based on advertising. They no longer have the inspiration and motivation as it once did. I'll scan thru the latest issue at Barns & Noble and take it month by month on if I want to purchase that issue.
A&NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #26
MikeL
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfl68 View Post
The responses seem to confirm my feelings on this as well.

They keep raising the prices, and the content is often lacking, and nothing that different from what can be found other places.

Also, I recently discovered MRH (Model Railroad Hobbyist), an online free magazine that is of a similar nature. It has online viewer, as well as PDF versions you can download, as well as back issues. There are a good number of ads, but because it is free, I have no problem with that.

I don't think I am going to keep my MR subscription much longer, I just don't think it is worth it any more.
Thanks for the lead - I just read my first issue and am impressed.

I currently have a digital subscription to MT and will likely keep - out of habit if nothing else.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #27
Chip
Engineer

I've been getting it for a year and must let the subscription go. It is repetitive and after a few issues you must keep checking the date on the one you are holding to make sure it is the current one. "Didn't I already read this"? YES , you DID, last month!

It is excellent for those at a "certain" stage of development in their pursuit of this hobby but if you are dedicated you will quickly "outgrow" it.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #28
Genetk44
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and OO
I check the contents on the digital cover and if it interests me I download it. Once in awhile I buy the print version.so yes it generally is still worth it.
Genetk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #29
Freightliner
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: N, HO, S, O HOn3
Not lately. Seems it's always about paint, weather and DCC. I like back issues that focus on scale drawings and kit bashing or scratch building.
Freightliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #30
A&NRR
Brakeman

I've been subscribing to M.R. since the '80's. It just isn't the same as it was a year ago. The price has gone up while the quality and size of the mag. has gone down. Just received my renewal notice and I think I'm gonna pass this time. I'll look at the latest issue at Barnes and Nobel and decide month by month if there is something worthwhile in that month worth buying it. Don't mean to be negative but here lately it's just not worth the money.
A&NRR is offline   Reply With Quote