Do you think Model Railroader is worth the money? - Page 4 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Multimedia > Model Train Print Media
Forgotten your password?

Model Train Print Media Discuss magazine articles and features.

View Poll Results: Do you think Model Railroader is worth the money?
Yes, I get both Print and Digital editions 1 5.00%
Yes, but I only get Print editions 6 30.00%
Yes, but I only get Digital editions 1 5.00%
Maybe, but I am considering not renewing 2 10.00%
Not any more, there are plenty of other places to find similar content online 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #31
Deane Johnson
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO - U.P. & CB&Q
Not so good experience with Model Railroader!

I've subscribed to MR off and on since 1958. My latest experience with them has left me totally uninterested in doing so again. I signed up for their video service a couple of weeks ago, but it won't let me watch videos even though it shows me signed in.

In addition, I checked the monthly billing subcription, but they charged me for the annual all at once. I had wanted to sample it a while before deciding on a larger subscription.

I've sent several emails requesting help, and even got an automated acknowlegement that they had recieved one of them, but to this time not a single response and no help. However, my email gets bombarded with spam from them suggesting I spend more money.

Meantime, I'm finding this forum an absolute delight to participate in.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #32
traction fan
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N
West Changed my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by traction fan View Post
Practically every idea used on my railroad can be traced back to a Model Railroader article. So yes, I feel it's worth the money, or I wouldn't keep renewing my subscription!
Even with decades of experience, I often find new ideas in MR. This would be even more true for newer modelers.

Traction Fan
Recently I've decided NOT to renew my subscription. MR just seems to be publishing articles that are virtually identical to what they have published before. The other reason is my own experience. It's been many months since I've seen an article with an idea that was new to me, and that I cared about reading. I'm an old analog guy. The latest blue tooth/PC control whiz bang doesn't grab me. In fact it flies by a mental mile over my old gray head. I know it would interest others, so I have no objection to it being in the magazine, It's just of no use to me. Neither is the umpteenth article on weathering, or other things they have covered dozens of times.
Now, if you are new to the hobby, the magazine, print, or digital, may be very helpful.

Traction Fan
Old 03-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #33
Subsailor
Hobo

I recently subscribed after a 12 + year subscription absence. I have not had a layout since 1995 and wanted to get up to date with the hobby. Unfortunately I like most responders am finding information here or online to many of my questions, vs the monthly hard copy. In fairness to the many comments about the amount of advertising, I worked at a publishing house and like them, the only way to attempt to maintain subscriber cost is to incorporate more ads.
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #34
traction fan
Dispatcher

West Model Railroad Hobbist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
I recently subscribed after a 12 + year subscription absence. I have not had a layout since 1995 and wanted to get up to date with the hobby. Unfortunately I like most responders am finding information here or online to many of my questions, vs the monthly hard copy. In fairness to the many comments about the amount of advertising, I worked at a publishing house and like them, the only way to attempt to maintain subscriber cost is to incorporate more ads.
Subsailor;

You might also want to check out an online magazine called "Model Railroad Hobbyist". It is similar in content to MR, but it's free!

Traction Fan
Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #35
Tony35
Brakeman

I let my subscription lapse a year ago, just not worth the $$$ anymore
With MRH being free it is a good e-mag, and covers everything MRR does
Plus with forums you get to see a lot more layouts, ideas, kitbashes, kit builds and in-process pics of the work being done
Tony35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #36
feldon30
Conductor

Nope.

Model Railroad Hobbyist blows it away and is represents a broad spectrum of modelers. And because it's an online mag, if it takes them 12 pages to really explain a tutorial with good pictures, they'll do it. They aren't space-limited.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote