Central RR of NJ Switchman's Shanty Restoration - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > The Right of Way > North America
Forgotten your password?

North America Discuss Canadian and American Prototype railways.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:17 AM   #1
Don F
Engineer

Scales Modeled: 3 Rail O Gauge mostly scale
Central RR of NJ Switchman's Shanty Restoration

I'm a member of the Ashley Breaker Preservation Society in Ashley Pa. The society was begun by Ray Clarke to try and raise awareness of and preserve the Huber Colliery, owned and operated by the former Blue Coal Corporation. The breaker has since been demolished, but the society has switched tracks to historical education and preservation efforts.
One such project is the switchman's shanty mentioned in the title. I volunteered to restore the shanty, which was moved from a site along former NJC trackage west of the breaker.The shanty was moved to the society's Miners Heritage Park on Main Street south of the Blue Coal office building.
A few weeks ago, I began making new window frames for the shanty. Since the shanty is exposed to the weather, I chose pressure treated yellow pine for the frames. I have been documenting the progress by taking photos. I have added several to my website. The link is included in my signature at the bottom of the post. The photos can be found by clicking on the New Page blocks in the heading. There are currently four pages, but only the first three have photos at this time.
The original windows were double hung single pane non divided sashes. I am constructing the sashes true to original design, but the sashes will be fixed due to the somewhat remote location of the shanty on the park premises. I have several crates of old glass that I will be using to help maintain authenticity. These were given to me by a friend who owns a local glass business.
I will be making the sashes after the frames are complete. The shanty is an eight sided concrete structure, with six- eighteen by thirty eight inch window openings. One wall is solid, and the opposing opening is for the door. I will most likely be fabricating the door, or modifying an existing door, as the opening is not a standard size.
Other items in the collection include two mine cars, which are being restored, a tower signal, which is slated to be restored this year, and a new steel building that replaces the former dynamite house located in a concrete revetment below the site of the signal and shanty.
http://huberbreaker.org/home/home/
Above, is a link for the society, and there is a facebook page as well. I will be adding photos to my website as work progresses. I will also be including the photos to the society's website after I contact the web master.
There is a granite monument dedicated to the men who worked in the mine, located in the center of the park. A picture of the Huber Breaker is engraved on the monument; it was made from artwork by Bernie Gavlick, a young local artist, who drew the sketch in pencil when he was in high school.
Thanks for looking,
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Question

Don, why don't you fix your website id in your signature so that someone can click on the link and it comes up for them?
Like below,
http://don195657.wix.com/hopper-topper-loads

I think all you have to do is edit your signature, separate the website word from the HTTP part with some spaces that is why it is not working right.

Also, when I go to your site I can't really view ALL of the picture because the blue part up top blocks them.
The only way is to hit the control key and minus at the same time to shrink your site down to see the pictures.
I shrunk it down to 50% to look at the shack. Then the letters and the blue part get small.
I don't know if you see the same thing I do?

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Don F
Engineer

Ed,
I'm still figuring how to navigate the site. Every time I go back to add photos, the format changes, and I get frustrated and wait for a while. As far as the link, I'm not familiar with the fine points of doing that. I'm not all that tech savvy! I grew up with rotary phones and four channel television with a dial attached to the set to change channels. It's probably less then ten years ago that we got rid rotary dialing format.
The pictures are in their entirety; I posted them large, so they can be easily viewed. The one photo that appears to be cut off is like that from the file. I wanted to highlight the detail under the window, so that is all that's in the frame. I will be posting these pics on the society's web site, so there won't be any need to use my web site. I have the web master's phone number at work, so I have to wait to contact him tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
I think your header is too large on your site. ( the blue part)

You added this in your signature,
websitehttp://don195657.wix.com/hopper-topper-loads
all you need to do is go into your CP and click the space bar a few times to separate the HTTP part away from the website word.
Like this, don't forget to hit save when you are done.

website http://don195657.wix.com/hopper-topper-loads

(see all I did was add some space in between.)

It will then be a clickable link so anyone can just click on it to open and go to your site.

GO to USER CP (up top)

Then on the left, is Edit Signature, click

Then just add the space between the word website and http

Then down the bottom click save changes.

Don't forget to save or it won't work.

Try it.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Don F
Engineer

Done! I didn't understand what you were explaining the first time. I'll try to edit the website at some point. Gotta wait til the frustration level drops.
Don
Old 03-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

USA

If you go to your site and then hit the minus key while holding the control key it will shrink the site so I can see the pictures.
Try that to see what I am talking about.

Funny thing if you hit your home page pictures of the load pictures they come up view-able in a different window.

But the new pages don't do that.
They don't open in the new window to look at them.

Your link in your signature is good now.

Last edited by Big Ed; 03-06-2016 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: add key
Old 03-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Wipe Sweat From Brow

Don....WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ORIGINAL POST IN THIS THREAD?

It is showing as mine is the first post?
Yours is gone?

Old 03-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Wipe Sweat From Brow

How the heck did you delete your original post here?
It is all gone......I know I should have quoted you.

But the thread is still showing as you started it. Maybe the gunnrunner can find it and put it back in.
I think he has copies of things that have been deleted somewhere in his control panel?
At least that is what I was told by someone else, they can see everything that has been deleted as the site makes a copy of them?

I wonder how you did that? It couldn't have been done when you fixed the signature?

Old 03-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Don F
Engineer

I'm still seeing it. All I did was what you suggested about splitting the website from the identifier. I also went to my website, and fixed everything. All the photos are smaller, and will pop up when clicked on. I even removed the blue background. It just takes this old guy a little longer to figure things out. as I mentioned earlier, the format changed several times since I first created the site.
Don
Old 03-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don F View Post
I'm still seeing it. All I did was what you suggested about splitting the website from the identifier. I also went to my website, and fixed everything. All the photos are smaller, and will pop up when clicked on. I even removed the blue background. It just takes this old guy a little longer to figure things out. as I mentioned earlier, the format changed several times since I first created the site.
Don
It is showing now but 2 mins ago it was missing.
Other threads are messed up something with the site is messed up.