Central RR of NJ Switchman's Shanty Restoration - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > The Right of Way > North America
Forgotten your password?

North America Discuss Canadian and American Prototype railways.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #11
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Someone must have fixed something in the last few mins.
I have be offline watching.
Now everything looks to be back to normal.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Don F
Engineer

Scales Modeled: 3 Rail O Gauge mostly scale
Not much progress since my last report. I just about finished all six window frames. I only have to cut and install the parting stop. The next step will be to begin fabrication of the sashes. I have the word out to some carpenter friends to be on the lookout for latch hardware from the period. I use old window frames for crafts, but leave the hardware on as part of the craft, so I've probably had enough for this project. All the sashes I have in stock don't have the hardware. I'll have to look in my regular dumping spots.
I've had to switch gears a bit, diverting my energies to our Living Stations at church. Yesterday, I built a platform and ramp that extend beyond the Altar which is where the cross is raised. I probably won't get back to the windows until after Easter. Photos of progress thus far can be viewed on my website. The link is with my signature below. There are four pages of photos which are just labeled as page on the home page.
Don
Old 04-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #13
Don F
Engineer

Now that Easter is over, I have gotten back to the project. Yesterday, I picked up the lumber for the door frame. I cut the jamb and header pieces to rough width size at the lumber store, and ran the boards through the jointer. Next step is to take the jambs and header to work to cut to the rough thickness, and then run them through the planer. I added a few new pics to the web site, but nothing other then a shot on the jointer, and the boards laying on the floor. I'm still trying to find photos of an original shanty for comparison. I thought I had a lead on one in Bethlehem Pa, but it turned out to be a much smaller crossing watchman's shanty, and in the same shape as the one I'm restoring.
I have the material for the sashes put aside at the lumber store, and will be working on those shortly. It's Ponderosa Pine from Anderson Windowalls that my friend had for several years. I was looking for fir, as that was the wood of choice for sash years ago, but that stuff is quite rare these days.
After the sashes are made, I can install the frames into the openings to begin the concrete repair.
Don

Old 04-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
Don F
Engineer

I spent a few hours this morning working on the entry door frame. A friend of mine was telling me his youngest son, a junior in HS has gained an interest in wood working, and wanted to visit the shop and observe whenever I work on the restoration project. He not only observed, but assisted during the assembly of the frame.
I explained all the steps during the window frame assembly process, and explained the steps leading up to the door frame assembly. I also gave him some info on selecting wood, and checking for the crown and bow, as well as cupping. I explained how I used the jointer to true one edge of the raw two by six, and then cut it to the rough size for the opening. I then explained that I used the jointer again to finish the opposite edge. I told him that I used the planer to mill the two by six to the one and and eighth inch thickness, explaining that I made it thicker to allow more material to attach the inside and outside trim. I don't want to attach the trim to the concrete if at all possible, other then using caulk, and a construction adhesive.
I got some more information about the shanty, including a possible maker, and some of the intended uses. I'm including this info, and the latest photos of the door frame. The next phase will be to construct the window sashes. I have secured some Ponderosa Pine milled by Anderson Windowwalls from a lumber store here in Ashley that my friend owns. The original sashes were made of fir, but he doesn't have any available.

Switchman's Shanty door frame 001.jpg

Switchman's Shanty door frame 002.jpg

Switchman's Shanty door frame 003.jpg

Switchman's Shanty door frame 004.jpg

Switchman's Shanty door frame 005.jpg

Switchman's Shanty door frame 006.jpg

Switchman's Shanty door frame 007.jpg

4+foot+telephone+booths.jpg

diagram+4+foot+telephone+shed.jpg
Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #15
Don F
Engineer

http://citizensvoice.com/polopoly_fs..._490/image.jpg
This is a link to an article a friend wrote showing the progress on the shanty. Today I started on the sashes. I am using ponderosa pine from Anderson Windows. a friend owns a lumber store, and had several bundles in his shop. I don't want to spend a lot of time looking for old doors and windows to re-claim the fir, so the pine will do nicely.
here are some photos of the progress on the sashes:
Switchman's Shanty 007.jpg

Switchman's Shanty 008.jpg

Switchman's Shanty 009.jpg

Switchman's Shanty 010.jpg

Switchman's Shanty 012.jpg

Switchman's Shanty 013.jpg

Switchman's Shanty 014.jpg

Switchman's Shanty 015.jpg
Old 04-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
Don F
Engineer

Today, I cut the sash frame work for one window, and fit the two sashes into the frame. Next step is to mill the glass rabbets and slot. I'm debating on whether or not to do some type of ogee on the inside. This was just a place to get out of the weather, so I'm not sure if the windows would have had all the embellishments of a standard window of the time period.
Since the window sashes will be fixed for safety and security reasons, I will be using biscuits and screws to construct the sashes. If the windows were to be functional, I would be slotting the corners, but this process will save me days of extra work.
Sweitchman's Shanty Sash 001.jpg

Sweitchman's Shanty Sash 003.jpg

Sweitchman's Shanty Sash 004.jpg

Sweitchman's Shanty Sash 005.jpg
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #17
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Thumbs up

Just going to paint them up when you're done?

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #18
Don F
Engineer

Ed,
Yes, the color is picked out, it's a dark brown, and is supposed to be prototypical. I also acquired an old slant top desk that will be perfect for the inside. We also have a calendar open to March 1972, which is when the CNJ pulled out of Ashley and PA. I completed one set of sashes today, and will post photos soon.
Don
Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #19
Don F
Engineer

I finished one window today, only five to go. They will be a little faster, now that I've got the process down. The top and bottom rails take the most time. I cut the rabbets into the material for the sides this afternoon on my break at work. Here are the photos of the completed window.
Switchman's Shanty SashW Glass Slant Top Desk 001.jpg

Switchman's Shanty SashW Glass Slant Top Desk 002.jpg

Switchman's Shanty SashW Glass Slant Top Desk 003.jpg

Switchman's Shanty SashW Glass Slant Top Desk 004.jpg

Switchman's Shanty SashW Glass Slant Top Desk 005.jpg
Old 04-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #20
Don F
Engineer

I updated my web site with all the current photos. I'm working on the remaining five sets of sashes. These should go a little quicker.
Don