Central RR of NJ Switchman's Shanty Restoration - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > The Right of Way > North America
Forgotten your password?

North America Discuss Canadian and American Prototype railways.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #21
Don F
Engineer

Scales Modeled: 3 Rail O Gauge mostly scale
Here is a 1092 photo of the shanty with most of the windows and trim in tact.
Don
CNJ+Ashley+12-82 (1).jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #22
Don F
Engineer

Here are some photos of the slant top desk for the shanty. A friend dropped this off the other day. This will make a nice addition to the completed project. We've got the pot belly stove, and I'll be making custom benches. We just have to find an old phone without a rotary dial, as communication was inter railroad, from the yard tower to the shanty.
Don

switchman shanty Slant Top Desk 001.jpg

switchman shanty Slant Top Desk 002.jpg
Old 05-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #23
Don F
Engineer

Latest update on the shanty progress: All the window frames and sashes are complete, and five frames have been installed in the shanty. My young assistant Nick D helped me this evening with the glass rabbet milling. I wanted to take one complete window assembly to the next meeting on the eighteenth, so Nick helped me install the glass temporarily. We installed the sashes into the frame, and put a stop piece in the window slot to keep the top sash from dropping down.
We went out to my recycled building material stockpile to look for window latch hardware, and found three latch mechanisms, and two retainers. I have a friend in the remodeling business who is on the lookout for window hardware.
Included are some photos of the frame installation from last Saturday. This Saturday, I want to start doing the concrete repair. Now that the frames are installed, I can use them as the forms for the concrete needed to fill in the damaged areas around the door and window openings.
My plan is to clamp short sections of form boards on the inside and outside against the window frames, and gradually fill the voids. I will allow the concrete to set for a sufficient amount of time that it will not sag or fall out, yet plastic enough to blend into the existing concrete.
In photo one, Nick and his cousin Jared install a window frame. Photo two shows some frames installed. Frames are squared and shimmed before anchoring to the concrete with Tapcon screws. Let me tell you, this concrete is still as hard as the day it was poured!. I broke two carbide tipped hammer drill bits, and two screw tips. I would imagine that this is due to the vibration needed to assure a smooth finish to the building. Some of the voids that need to be filled can be seen in some of these photos.
A reporter from one of the local TV stations wants to do a story on Saturday. I hope she can do it while I'm working, because I don't have time to stand around looking pretty for the camera.

Switchman Shanty window frame installation 001.jpg

Switchman Shanty window frame installation 003.jpg

Switchman Shanty window frame installation 004.jpg

Switchman Shanty window frame installation 005.jpg

Switchman Shanty window frame installation 002.jpg

Switchman Shanty window frame installation 006.jpg
Old 05-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #24
Don F
Engineer

Not much progress this weekend, I got to the sight a little after eight, and worked on the window I couldn't finish last Saturday because I broke my last Phillips head tip trying to driven the Tapcon screws. I had planned to do some concrete work, but rain was in the forecast, so I picked up three bags of 5000 PSI concrete, a ladder, and some masonry tools and stored everything in the tool shed at the rear of the park. I'll try again on Wednesday afternoon. One young fellow was doing some prep work on the signal pole, getting it ready for paint. It needs one relay, some brazing on a cast steel clamp for the top railing, and some minor straightening on the ladder. The wiring is in great shape, and the lenses and reflectors are all in tact, but one relay needs to be replaced. A new concrete base was poured about a week ago, so after paint and testing, it's ready to be erected. I hope I can remember to ask about the status of the restoration progress on the two mine cars. One is being restored by the Vocational school students.
If there is anyone on the forum from the Wilkes-Barre area who is interested in mining or railroad history, our next meeting is Tuesday at 7 in the Earth Conservancy conference room at 101 Main Street in Ashley. I will have a completed window assembly, a slant top desk, and Andre Garcia's mock-up of the shanty. We'll be discussing the possibility of selling the kits as a fundraiser.
Don
Old 05-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #25
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Thumbs up

Looking good Don.

I hope that creek never floods over the bank?
Is that the Solomon?

When your done, can you find another to fix up for my backyard?

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #26
Don F
Engineer

The park isn't in any danger of flooding. The creek is probably an eighth of a mile or more north, and the park is on higher ground. Even where the signal, shanty and mine car tracks are are still not in a flood prone area. If water should ever get that high, there would be more to worry about then some memorabilia!
Don
Old 05-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #27
teledoc
Super Moderator

Scales Modeled: Postwar/Prewar tinplate "O" scale
Excellent job so far Don, and should look outstanding when it is completed. Keep up the slow and steady work. It will be well worth it.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 AM   #28
Don F
Engineer

Thank you Teledoc.
Don
Old 05-30-2016, 08:41 AM   #29
Don F
Engineer

My assistant Nick D and I made some substantial progress this past Saturday. We started just after 8 AM, and worked until almost noon on the hottest day of the year to date; a record high of 92 degrees by just after 1 PM. much of the concrete repair is complete.
Most of the major damage was around the door and window openings. The repairs were done by using eight inch sections of 1/4" luan plywood nailed to the wood frames, and clamped against the concrete. As each section was filled with concrete, another piece of form was added and filled. A sand and cement mortar mixture was used to fill the small voids remaining after the forms were removed. Several sections were done to allow time for previous areas to set up before removing the forms. The mortar was finished using a piece of cedar shake shingle. The mortar was smoothed and feathered into the existing concrete.
Cooler temps are forecast for the up-coming week, so I'm hoping to complete this phase one day after work. There is some interior cement re-surfacing needed, and much of the floor surface peeled during the pressure washing last fall. When I built the door frame, I included a threshold which is about two inches thick. I will pour a new floor to the height of the threshold to eliminate a possible trip hazard, as the shanty will be accessible to the public.
Don

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 011.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 012.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 013.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 014.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 015.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 016.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 018.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 020.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 022.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 023.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 024.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 026.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 027.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 030.jpg

Switchman Shanty Concrete repair 031.jpg
Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #30
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Thumbs up

Looking good Don.

I was wondering as to how they made those back then. While searching your picture came up in the google searches, your famous now.

I did not find out much on how they actually made it, I wonder if it was formed upside down as one big piece?
Here is a site listing C F Massey company, they made a lot of concrete structures for different uses.
Some that looked liked the shanty were used for outhouses.

https://archive.org/details/MasseyRe...lInformationOn

On that page click on the full screen (upper right) then click on the book to navigate the pages.
You might already have come across this in your searches?

One page has this,
CfMasseyCoCca29743_0016.jpg

I found this site, http://www.nyow.org/wx.html

Scroll down a little there is one sitting in the woods.
This is where I found the mention of the CF Massey company.

Somewhere in there is this,
copy and paste,
The New York, Ontario & Western Railway's concrete sanitary outhouses, of the type shown in the drawings, looked very similar to their telephone booth shown in the photo, and were sometimes mistaken for them.
The C.F. Massey Co. manufactured these sanitary reinforced concrete outhouses and sold them in 1911 for $85 FOB Newark, New Jersey. These little structures had an occupancy for two and were portable, although of considerable weight. The outside walls of the octagonal-shaped structures had built-in panels, two doors with windows, a tin-centered roof vent and octagonal peaked roof. It is believed that Massey also manufactured the telephone booths, using similar concrete casting except for the door and window positions and without the roof vent.

outhouse1.gif

outhouse.gif

After I typed this up I reread your thread and see mention of the Massey company.
I might have missed it, but I did not see the above, so I will post them.

In your searching did you find out just how these were made back then?
What are you using for the patch work? Just concrete or something like a Quikcrete mix?
I might have missed this too, are you going to paint the whole thing when you are done?

I did find something saying that these were sometimes used for a RR crossing shanty too as they were portable and easy to move around.

On post #14 here http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showp...6&postcount=14 you have an attachment page from a book, where did you come across that?

And you are right about the weather!
Jungle weather....I hate it!

Your putting a lot of work into this, I think over the door a CNJ would be appropriate.
Along with a rebuilt by Don F along side of it.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote